Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to let wood acclimate after resaw

How long to let wood acclimate after resaw

I have just resawn some 8/4 cherry for a end table. The cherry has been in my shop for over five years. After I resawed it I stickered and put some weight on top.

My question is how long should I leave it this way before surfacing to final dimensions? I don't want any surprises later with it twisting. Thanks

I always mill my stock in two steps. Rough to slightly oversized then final with a week in between usually because I'm working just on the weekends. If I have to resaw it kinda depends. If the boards are wide and moved a lot a I will wait to see what happens. If the resawn boards are narrow/smaller I might go immediately to rough milling. Also depends on my schedule. Interested to see what others do.

Blog Entries
    The oft quoted (but not necessarily accurate) rule of thumb is a year per inch so if your cherry is now 1" thick you would need to wait approximately 3 months depending upon the MC in the area where it is now being stored. Ohio like PA currently has pretty warm temperatures and high humidity.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-01-2018 at 2:32 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

IMO, it depends upon how stable the RH is in your shop. My shop drifts slowly from about 35% in the Winter to a dehumidifier limited 60% in the Summer. Because the RH changes slowly the MC is essentially the same throughout the lumber I have in long term storage. When I resaw a piece of 8/4 the MC will be the same on the cut faces as the outside, and there is little/no movement unless the wood has some other form of stress in it. If the resawn pieces are flat I go ahead and use them right away; no acclimation needed. If they aren't flat I set them aside, stickered or just leaning against the wall, overnight and try working with them the next day or whenever I get to them. Sometimes I'm able to mill it and it's OK. Other times, it will continue to move no matter what, like when ripping a stile off a wider board. Those pieces generally get relegated to really short pieces in non critical places, never in a door frame, or go to the woodstove.

If the RH in your shop varies more directly with the weather, like it will in a garage shop with no climate control, and you live somewhere where the weather changes frequently, like I do in the NE, then I think you need to be more cautious and sticker or edge stack your resawn boards for a day or two before milling to final dimensions. A RH meter hanging on the wall and a moisture meter would both be helpful in deciding how best to handle your lumber.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I have just resawn some 8/4 cherry for a end table. The cherry has been in my shop for over five years. After I resawed it I stickered and put some weight on top.

My question is how long should I leave it this way before surfacing to final dimensions? I don't want any surprises later with it twisting. Thanks
    If you have a moisture meter (and you should,) til the moisture content is the same on both faces of the wood. This can take a while, depending on the environment. I have thick stickers, a drying room, and a lot of patience.

My rule of thumb is to observe, analyze and act accordingly.

If it cupped when sawn, either way, middle into the blade of middle away from the blade, it is not at equilibrium.
    If the middle cupped towards the sawblade then the outside is dryer than the inside.
    If it cupped with the middle away from the saw then the inside is dryer than the outside.
    If it stayed straight, then your wood is at equilibrium and stressfree.
    Based on the time your wood has been in your shop you should have no problems using it.

If your wood had just arrived at your shop that would be a different matter, it may not be at equilibrium with your shop, and would adjust to the new environment.
    So if you resawed the newly arrived wood, and it stayed straight, you can tell that it is equilibrium within the wood itself. if you then observe over the next few days you can tell if it is at equilibrium with the shop. lay a piece of the wood on your bench for a day or two and watch it, if it cups then it is not at equilibrium with your shop.
    depending on the way it cups will tell you if the wood is taking on or losing moisture, and would then need to be stickered for a while.
    Laying the piece on the bench will allow moisture exchange to take place through the side that is exposed and will show up as cupping if there is any moisture differential between the wood and the shop.

Having said that i usually rough dress over size, and sticker for a few days before final dressing anyway.

I think the OP is asking about resawn stock that has already been dried, so we’re not talking about wood fresh off the sawmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I think the OP is asking about resawn stock that has already been dried, so we’re not talking about wood fresh off the sawmill.
    It depends on what the meaning of "I have just resawn" is. :^)

This is Kiln dried cherry that has been in the shop for 5+ years.

The meaning of just resawn is:. I took 8/4 cherry to my bandsaw and cut it into 2 pieces about 1" thick, Friday evening.

I would let it sit a week, maybe take the weight off in a couple days, then if it stays flat and true over those final days, you are good to go.

I will add that you'll really want to remove a little off the un-sawn side, too, and then see how it goes for a few days to a week. Every board is different...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lots depends on your shop climate and ambient humidity levels.

I would leave in stickers for a week, then lightly joint and plane, re-sticker for another week,.

If its flat, proceed with milling, probably in 2 more stages.

BTW, I use clamps instead of weights. I did this on a project that had 3/8" solid panel drawer bottoms and I think it works better.

What do you folks think commercial shops do?

John

I personally tend to let it sit clamped, or banded, for a few days to a week.
    I will generally re-saw, it and then run it through the jointer/planer on both sides. Not finished thickness, but close.

For clarification, I am referring to kiln dried wood.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-02-2018 at 1:30 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What do you folks think commercial shops do?

John
    Many of them ignore or don't understand moisture content and wood structure, go ahead and make stuff and then ask why its warping and splitting.