Thread: Powermatic 141 green paint

Powermatic 141 green paint

I picked up a 1977 Powermatic 141 14" bandsaw yesterday and I "may" want to paint it (haven't decided yet). If I do decide to paint it, does anyone know where I can get the exact green paint for it (I'd prefer spraying)? Right now it looks like the following:

IMG_2052.JPG

Looks great as is to me. Someone took care of that saw. I'd spend my time using it unless it needs bearings and tires first.

I'm not convinced I want to paint it; it looks good for its age. But in case I do, I'd like and exact paint match. I found this over at owwm:

IMG_2057.JPG

If you think the info from owwm is good, sounds like you are all set.
    If not, I'd take off a door or scrape a paint chip, then have a good paint store color match it. (Which kinda looks like what the guys may have already done at owwm.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's a really nice find, Jeff!!! Congrats
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fred, if I could find a picture of a machine painted with that formula, I'd feel better about a match. I'm still digging in owwm. Thanks for the offer. If I can't find visual confirmation with that mix, I'll let you know. Thanks, again!

Thanks Jim. Whoever owned it before took good care of it. And boy is that cast iron top heavy!
    Last edited by Jeff Ramsey; 07-01-2018 at 11:10 AM.

I understand painting a machine to look good if the existing paint is messed up. I can see repainting so all the tools in the shop match. But I do not understand why many here insist it has to match the factory original. For touchups or repainting sections it makes sense to match.
    I think I have a RAL color code for my Harrison lathe. so now who can mix that up in the states?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I understand painting a machine to look good if the existing paint is messed up. I can see repainting so all the tools in the shop match. But I do not understand why many here insist it has to match the factory original. For touchups or repainting sections it makes sense to match.
    This is purely a subjective thing. Some of us just plain prefer it that way and that's ok...as is the opposite.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    I'm not convinced I want to paint it; it looks good for its age. But in case I do, I'd like and exact paint match. I found this over at owwm:

IMG_2057.JPG

First, that is a great saw, hard to argue it is not the best 14" cast iron wood cutting saw ever made, makes the Delta look puny under the hood. Nice to see the original fence on it, they are somewhat rare. If you decide to replace it for a more useful one be aware there would be buyers for the fence and rails on eBay and elsewhere. I have bought and sold several of them, usually selling when I first get a 141 then rebuying when I get nostalgic later, despite not ever actually using a fence on a 141.

Second, that is NOT the paint you want! That appears to be the formula for Vista green which was used in the 60s, it is more of an industrial baby puke green not the deep emerald green metallic on your machine (from the 70s) called Evergreen. If you have a spray rig take a clean part that has been covered and have it matched. Alternately just go to Home Depot and buy the Rustoleum Deep Green in their Hammered line. It is for all intents and purposes an exact match the only issue is making sure you apply thin coats so it doesn't develop the hammered look, it is quite simple to do just practice on the inside parts before moving to the outside of the saw.

Third, if you need them wmprice sells rebuild kits for the 141 on eBay with rubber tires and the correct snap ring bearings, I think they are about $60 for the tires and full bearing kit.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thank Van!

+1 on the Rustoleum Hammered Green. I used it on several 70's vintage Powermatic 90's and it is a near perfect match. You can also buy it in quart cans and thin it with xylene. I found it easiest to brush the first coat and then top coat it with a rattle can.