Thread: Rejected Walnut Bowl

Rejected Walnut Bowl

This is my second finished piece from a walnut root ball I got my hands on last year. 12" by 3.5".

I think I'll call this one 'Rejected.' My mother in law was recently in town helping us as my wife recovered from surgery. She openly asked for a bowl while she was here. I was happy to oblige. I had this roughed out and dry from last year so I ran out to the shop and finished it. Filled the worm hole with some epoxy/Pearlex dust. Finished with Waterlox thinking it could be used as a salad bowl.

Once it was finished she pointed out what she REALLY wanted was a NE walnut bowl.... I have several drying but not ready for finish yet. Oh well. I think I'll send this to my mother instead.

I'm not crazy about the Waterlox on walnut. I usually reach for polymerized tung oil, but wanted a more durable finish in case this gets used as a salad bowl. The color is more gray compared to the rich deep chocolate brown I get with the oil. Still the root has some neat color variations in it.

I think I could have put more of a slope on the rim as well now that I look at the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that?

Nice shape. What is NE walnut?

Very nice! Kevin, NE is usually short for natural edge.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Nice bowl, love the shape, foot and everything about it.