Thread: Cook Pine Bowl

Cook Pine Bowl

On a recent vacation to Oahu, I had the pleasure of meeting a few local turners- including David Chung (my first 'celebrity turner' meet as I had seen some of his work previously online, I should have gotten a picture). He was gracious enough to share a few blanks with me including this Cook Pine.

My first end-grain bowl- I hollowed it out with a scraper, not the best finish inside. If I could do it again I'd try to use a spindle gouge and back hollow. Once I got to about 3/16" thick I stopped not confident enough in my scraping skills to go thinner.

Also my first attempt at a calabash form. I decided each of my Oahu blanks would have some variation of the form within the limits of what I could ship back via flat rate boxes. David shared a few pointers and I've looked over several calabash forms online.

The pith just crumbled as I turned it. I was worried the chuck jaws would crush the tenon so I plugged it with a heart pine dowel I had leftover from another project.

9" wide, 4.5" tall. Finished with Waterlox and buffed. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Where did I put that?