Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning to Minimax CU300 owners, and possibly other sliders with scoring blades

I didn't realize that the OEM scoring blade is trapezoidal...I've never used it as I somehow also ended up with a fixed width scoring blade that's .125" and matches my Forrest blades exactly. I only raise the scoring blade just enough to...um, score...the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A conical scorer is a good choice if there are stops on the adjustment lever so the blade can be lowered and then returned to the correct height easily. If the height is adjusted with a wrench in the cast iron top and has no stop, the split scorer is the best choice. I mark the lateral adjustment so I don't use it in error but then the scorer can be any height and work. If the ply isn't tight to the table, the scorer needs more height and still might go fuzzy. I use Mac's clamps and that means the scorer doesn't need to protrude much. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I didn't realize that the OEM scoring blade is trapezoidal...I've never used it as I somehow also ended up with a fixed width scoring blade that's .125" and matches my Forrest blades exactly. I only raise the scoring blade just enough to...um, score...the material.
    i measured my scoring blade with calipers. It is trapezoidal. Like David said, the best height is also a function of the flatness of the stock.
    Mark McFarlane