Thread: Cup wire wheel stuck on Angle Grinder.

Cup wire wheel stuck on Angle Grinder.

I have an 4 1/2" Angle Grinder with a cup wire wheel that is stuck on the grinder.
    Any tips on how to remove it.

The Angle Grinder is a Sears Crafsman but looks just like a DeWalt.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I guess the first thing I'd try is to clamp the wire cup, maybe in my vise. Then use the shaft lock button on the angle grinder and turn the whole angle grinder in the proper direction to unscrew the wire cup.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A way to avoid this in the future is to leave one of your wheel washers or a backing washer between the cup wheel and the shoulder on the shaft. Many cup wheels have just the right radius/chamfer to really lock them on the shaft I've sheared the locking pin off trying to get them off. A good sharp blow on the wrench or some heat may help.

I was able to get mine off by using a helper to hold the grinder with the shaft lock button pushed in while I used a strap wrench on the cup wheel - near the top. It worked perfectly in my case.
    Good luck!!

-Mike

I wrap mine in fabric, like a heavy shirt or towel so I can grab it with my hand without fear of the wires. 99% of the time that's all I need.

Some good tips. I will give it a try.

Thanks
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

On my bosch 4" grinder, if I do not remove the flange from the grinder spindle, used for cut off wheels, before putting on a wire wheel, I will not be able to put a wrench on the hex nut on the wire wheels.

I put a plastic washer on the shaft and that seems to make removal easier.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I put a plastic washer on the shaft and that seems to make removal easier.

Mike
    Thats a great trick. I tend to just leave my back up washers on there and it serves dual purpose of not losing them and allowing me to spin the cup wheel off by hand when it has to come off.

Does the wire cup have a hex shape on the top of it like mine? I use an adjustable wrench on this hex and strike the handle end of the wrench with a hammer. A sharp blow in the correct direction will knock it loose.

Charley

That is what I do Charley. Does not take much of a tap for me.