Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-handle hex keys - ball head or not?

T-handle hex keys - ball head or not?

I'm going to purchase some T-handle hex keys for working on equipment, bikes,...

I've never used the ball-head style of wrenches before, but I have had many occasions where I can't get 90 degrees into the hex head..

Do these work OK?

I was thinking of a Klein set...

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    They work quite well, but you can't apply as much torque because the ball end can break off. I'd get a conventional set as well so you aren't tempted to use the ball end ones where not needed.

What Frank said. I use ball heads most of the time, just because they make it easier to hit the hole. But if it's an easy access and I need lots of torque, straight head.

I've been thinking about getting a set of these, too, and would probably get both ball-head and regular for the reasons that the previous two posters mentioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As you said, they're great for when you can't get at the fastener straight-on (as they'll work at an angle).

In sets I've seen, the smaller ones are not-ball-ended, presumably because the necessary thinning of the wrench (to make the ball end) makes it too weak below a certain size.

I've had one case where I couldn't get enough torque on a particularly stubborn bolt, and had to go buy a non-ball-end version of the same sized wrench to get it out. Real outlier, though.

Consider the Bondhus ones - they're well-regarded: https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13390...ywords=bondhus

I've read of failures on the cheaper ball heads, but I'm suspecting (hoping) that a Klein or Wiha set will handle a fair amount of torque and not break.
    Mark McFarlane

The only brand I would buy are the BondHus. They are American made and come with a lifetime warranty. Some of the smaller ones don't come with the ball end because of breaking the ball off but for the most part the ones that do have the ball ends will take a lot of torque before breaking. Also the T-handle is all steel with just a vinyl cover. Some other brands the handle is plastic. We use them all the time here at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post

Consider the Bondhus ones - they're well-regarded: https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13390...ywords=bondhus
    Thanks for the tip Dan, these are about 1/2 the price of the Klein and a third of the Wiha versions, but the Klein and Wiha have 2 hex ends on each handle, one short 'normal end', and one long 'ball head': 2-in-1.
    Mark McFarlane

We use Eklind and Bondhus at work. Ball end for most unless you need to apply a lot of torque.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I have two sets of regular "L" shaped wrenches and have never had one fail. My 13 piece set goes from 3/8 down to .050 and all of them have ball ends. Get the plated ones if you can find them as they don't rust. Plated Bondhus
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-30-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Get these.

https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-20199...gUL&ref=plSrch

I’ve worked in bike shops for 10 years and that’s all we used. Never seen a broken one. I can’t stand t handled ones - why would you want them!

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I'm going to purchase some T-handle hex keys for working on equipment, bikes,...

I've never used the ball-head style of wrenches before, but I have had many occasions where I can't get 90 degrees into the hex head..
    In the case of clearance issues (or even not,) don't forget that you can also get hex head _sockets_ for the sizes you want, and drive them with a sliding t-drive or breaker bar, or a ratchet, and various attachments to extend them limited only by your imagination.

Stuff like this:
    https://store.snapon.com/SearchResul...Tool%20Catalog
    although it doesn't have to be SnapOn, Kobalt makes okay ones for a few dollars.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-30-2018 at 4:09 PM. Reason: added link

I use 1/4'' drive allen keys and if you need to go in at an angle a universal joint and extensions. I tried the ball end versions and stopped using them due to the torque limitations. We race karts and every fastener is hex drive. I have a set of Blue Point 1/4 drive and would not recommend them because the sizes are hard to read. For bigger stuff I use 3/8 or 1/2 as needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I don't prefer T handles except for fiddly light duty work. Ball ends on the long end of my Gray Tools extra long S2 wrenches, one of the best hand tool purchases I've ever made.

I like tee handle for 1/4" and larger - for smaller I like regular screwdriver handles