Thread: Derek causes problems

Lightbulb Derek causes problems

I got up at my usually early time for Saturday. Peaceful time made coffee sat down with a cup. Turned on the TV and YT to check what's happening. What pops up is Derek's video, from watching on iPad the other day. I decided to watch again on big screen. I may pick up something I missed in his shop. Low and behold my wife woke up, almost never happens at this hour on Saturday. She sees his apothecary chest and immediately goes to "I want that". I could use it for this that and the other. I immediately turned it off with "you don't like woodworking shows". Too late the demand has taken hold. I now have to go to crisis denial mode. We shall see how that works out. Oh thank you so much Derek! It's even gone to bigger and more drawers and oh yes it has to be curved to boot.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    That is why it is a good idea to have another page open to switch to real quick when you hear the wife coming your way.

Don't try the cute kitten videos as she will stay watching over your shoulder. Maybe something with 4 wheel drive vehicles in the mud and muck.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

“Honey, see that sliding tablesaw in the background there? I can’t build the chest without one...”

If my wife said that the first thought to enter my mind would be "what new tool do i need to make it" followed by "Hmmm about 300 bd ft 8/4 walnut"
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I got up at my usually early time for Saturday. Peaceful time made coffee sat down with a cup. Turned on the TV and YT to check what's happening. What pops up is Derek's video, from watching on iPad the other day. I decided to watch again on big screen. I may pick up something I missed in his shop. Low and behold my wife woke up, almost never happens at this hour on Saturday. She sees his apothecary chest and immediately goes to "I want that". I could use it for this that and the other. I immediately turned it off with "you don't like woodworking shows". Too late the demand has taken hold. I now have to go to crisis denial mode. We shall see how that works out. Oh thank you so much Derek! It's even gone to bigger and more drawers and oh yes it has to be curved to boot.
    Jim

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've "educated" my wife. I show her all of Derek's projects and say "gee someday maybe I'll be good enough to attempt something like that". She understands because she is a quilter and has taken years to hone her skills. She nods sympathetically and says "keep practicing". All the encouragement I need to do more stuff in the shop.

Had a similar situation last week. Was asking my wife about a design choice on a floating entertainment center I'm building, and she replied...."what would Derek do?"

Maybe we all need a bracelet.....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Had a similar situation last week. Was asking my wife about a design choice on a floating entertainment center I'm building, and she replied...."what would Derek do?"

Cheers -

Rob
    Can't even open SMC anywhere near where wife could see this post. I would be hearing that quote everyday. I'm not going to even mention that name in hearing distance.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post

Cheers -

Rob

Cheers

Derek

Maybe have a "standby" video? Like maybe an episode of The New Yankee Workshop? When she walks up..just play Norm's project....

back in the day, we had a boss button - a keyboard short cut that would pop up a screen shot of a spreadsheet. Still use the same idea but now it opens a slide show of the grand kids - projects disappear from the conversation.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    You should be thanking Derek for giving you an excuse to buy more tools, and now the wife is on board as well. I'm confused here- what was the complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    You should be thanking Derek for giving you an excuse to buy more tools, and now the wife is on board as well. I'm confused here- what was the complaint?
    Malcolm, I guess I'm lucky. If I wanted I could buy almost any tool I truly wanted. I've owned a whole shop full of power tools in the past, good stuff too boot. Im older now and do mostly hand work, good for me, excercise. I just don't have an urge to repeat 24 or as she says, more and bigger drawers. I enjoyed the challenge of making one drawer just to see if it could be done by hand. 48 corners, not so fun to me. I'll try to keep it quiet but sometimes it doesn't work. I may have to give in but we shall see. You younger guys should tackle that stuff, good for you, experience you know.
    Jim