Thread: Hawk 226VS Scroll saw / General Scroll saw advice

Hawk 226VS Scroll saw / General Scroll saw advice

Hi
    our scroll saw died and we're looking to replace it, I found a Hawk 226VS on craigslist for 375 . Any thoughts on this saw .

We are non profit and we cut plaques in the shape of a sea turtle for a fundraiser , we need about 300- 500 plaques per year . we have a volunteer who cuts them he likes to use the scroll saw . We had a Hitachi that we have been using and it broke the other day so we are looking to replace it .

we are cutting the plaques out of 1/4 oak ply , stack cut 4-6 at a time .

My thoughts are we can by a DIY /homeowner saw in the 100-200 range and replace every few years or go for better quality

I was also looking at dewalt DW 788 on amazon for 489 if the craigslist saw doesn't pan out

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW78...alt+scroll+saw

We would appreciate any input

here is our program

http://islandturtlewatch.com/get-involved/adopt-a-nest/

Hawk makes a good saw. I have that particular saw - don't use it a lot but it's been good in my use.

A lot of people think they want to do scroll sawing but change their mind after a short while. So I often see brand name scroll saws advertised as "low use".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike

I talked to the seller it sounds good , I would cut them with the bandsaw the volunteer tried both and is more comfortable using the scroll saw , He does a good job and the best part is I don't have to do it .

I went and looked at your web site. That's quite a program. And at $100 per plaque you guys can bring in some real money if you get 500 in a year. Congratulations!

I hope the scroll saw works out well for you. If the Hawk ever breaks, repair parts are available.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Great program. Thank you for doing that.
    I would think you will go through a lot of scroll saws cutting 1/4” ply in a production environment? Have you thought about a CNC setup?

Quote Originally Posted by skip coyne View Post
    Hi
    our scroll saw died and we're looking to replace it, I found a Hawk 226VS on craigslist for 375 . Any thoughts on this saw .
    Buy it! It's a phenomenal machine with excellent support. About a year ago someone put one up on our neighborhood for sale group for only $200. I ran to pick it up immediately. It needed a couple minor things to get it in perfect order, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that parts for it are down right cheap. For under $100 I got a huge pile of blades, a bearing, the two pivot triangles, an upgraded dust blower with Loc-line, and a bunch of blade holder tubes.