Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm finally building my boat.

Blog Entries
    For those interested, here is the cost of materials. Please note that the Sapele is ribbon stripe for the coaming, cabin sides (which is actually a part of the coaming), and the sheer strake, which will be bright finished. Coaming will be two layers of 1/4" which I will likely kerf at the bends on the two inside faces- will see how well it bends first. I was going to use multiple layers of 1/8" but I think this will work. There will be a mahogany cap rail on the coaming. This is just the wood for the mast, spars, boomkin, and bowsprit with plenty of extra spruce for a surfboard build. Cabin roof may be strip planked in spruce as well. I may use some fir from a salvaged mast to put some life from another boat into her.

I am ordering a few more 1/4" than I need. Plans call for 14 and I am ordering 14 Oakoume, but some of the 1/4" will be Sapele, so actually I am getting more than plans call for due to something always goes wrong in a build. I may very well get an additional Sapele, so add another $105 to this cost. Spruce is spar grade old growth quarter sawn 21' lengths.

I am very pleased with $4k for all this. Shipping will add around $400 to this cost. Also the supplier offers bulk discounts, and this is list rate. So far I am way under budget, thanks to saving on the centerboard and eBay deals on all the rigging bits and pieces. Again- plan is to have some sheets left over and a good bit of spruce left over, so actual cost probably $500 less than this.

image.jpg

Edit: I'm amazed- Tropical Shipping will ship all of the above from New Jersey to St. Thomas for $250. I'm going to check and see what the rate is to ship it with the supplier's carrier to Miami since I would still have to ship from MA to NJ. Tropical's main terminal is in Miami.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-30-2018 at 4:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just a little update- my deal with my neighbor where I fix his carport in trade for building space has fallen through, but I have secured a workshop in a 180-year-old warehouse. it's pretty cool- the ceiling is made of wood slats that support brick. Crazy construction method, but it's withstood all these years. It has a huge door that will allow the boat to be moved in and out, and actually it may work to where I take over the lease because the guy may be moving off island. I'm so happy! It's a "walkable" distance from my house. Maybe 1/2 mile or so, but not something I would walk carrying tools. It has no power, but has a generator.

Finalized the price with Boulter Plywood for all the wood- $4564 shipped. I made a couple of adjustments to the above list based on what lengths of spruce he had in stock, but otherwise as planned. As said, I was buying way more spruce than I needed anyway. Good grief- I can get mahogany locally cheaper than this spruce, but mahogany wouldn't make a very good mast. :-)

The centerboard is on the ship headed this way. The wood will ship next week. The shop won't be ready until October. Until then I will be building bits and pieces, starting with the rudder. Looking forward to this build.

Not sure how much I'll be getting done next week. We may have some visitors.

3. Hopefully it's not your turn again - yet!

God speed all in the paths.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Good luck on all fronts, Malcolm!

My wife, daughter and son in law are planning a return snorkeling trip to St John next year, landing and renting a jeep on St Thomas and driving across to the car barge - maybe we could check out your boat project?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Good luck on all fronts, Malcolm!

My wife, daughter and son in law are planning a return snorkeling trip to St John next year, landing and renting a jeep on St Thomas and driving across to the car barge - maybe we could check out your boat project?
    That would be great. Beware that as of right now only one car barge is running and it is taking two hours plus before you get on it. Hopefully that will be different when you come, but my advice is check prior to coming and consider renting in St. John and just take the people ferry over and taxi to and from the airport. If I am not traveling the week you are here I can shuttle you back and forth. Also check out my friend Captain Phil on the Wayward Sailor if you want a good day sail and snorkel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Hopefully it's not your turn again - yet!

God speed all in the paths.
    Isaac is cooperating and staying westward. Just pray for Dominica. They didn't have the support we did after Irma and Maria and they are about to get another direct hit, but are still in bad shape from last year.

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.

Blog Entries
    Look what showed up at the dock today.

BF532F9B-90F5-4A7E-A8A9-7EEB649CF137.jpg

Looking good!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Woodchip Lumber in Fort Lauderdale is awesome. I bought the ash for my workbench from them. They just planed this piece of teak for me and texted me the picture. 12”x 72” 4/4 for $150. That’s cheap for teak these days, especially in this width.

This will be for the rudder stock cheeks. Plans said make them as strong as possible. The center piece will be mahogany, which I already have at 2” width. This is the piece that the rudder hangs from and the tiller mates to. It is going to be bright finished. You have a 2” thick center piece and two outer cheeks.

7A71FB0D-A8DD-44A6-B22F-4D49AE9C5086.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The wood arrived today. Those boards are 21’ long Sitka spruce spar grade quarter sawn 2x9. I was amazed how light they are. The plywood stuck out the back door because of the overpack and my tool rack up front. I have to take it out tomorrow so I can close the doors, which for now are tied shut.

Oh by the way- I had to finally put the roof rack on the van today to carry the spruce. Look closely- I didn’t set them at the same level hence it isn’t touching the front one. Only had to go two miles with it today. Tomorrow I will address that and haul it home.

AF693031-F70E-48CB-A8FB-1FE759C75425.jpg687C7616-27EC-4D68-AC6B-1E9D395545E3.jpg

That's a good start.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

There goes "the rest of your free time."
    Jim Waldron

Looking good.... You can’t turn back now... It’s officially a Real Boat Build...

All that spruce is very nice, but you do realize, I suppose, you haven't yet posted pictures of your new spar bench. Do get with it, Malcolm!
    Jim Waldron