Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm finally building my boat.

Go for it Malcolm

Now I'm just curious about material costs for something like this. I'll take a swing at it for an imaginary boat.

30% hull, mast and spars

30% sails and rigging

20% engine and electrical

20% communications and tech

Can you adjust these for your project?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Go for it Malcolm

Now I'm just curious about material costs for something like this. I'll take a swing at it for an imaginary boat.

30% hull, mast and spars

30% sails and rigging

20% engine and electrical

20% communications and tech

Can you adjust these for your project?
    Funny you should ask, as I am doing the math now, about to order my wood. I am making some changes- adding a cabin and increasing the cockpit coaming height. I really have not thought of it in terms of % of total cost, but here is what I am expecting. By the way, I have met with Doyle Sails, but haven't gotten the estimate yet, but the sails are a pretty good ballpark figure. Costs are landed costs so they are including shipping from supplier.

Plywood for hull and spruce for mast and stringers: $4,000 *This includes a few upgrades like a mahogany sheerstrake and seats, and a teak and holly floor (teak and holly faced ply)

Sails $2,000

Mahogany for rudder, stern and stempost, and other parts: Rough guess of $200 because I keep a lot of mahogany already on hand and don't expect to have to buy much.

Casting bronze rudder gudgeon and pintle: Please, God, let it be no more than $300. :-)

Centerboard: Well, folks- it looks like it's going to be $2500 in stainless. I am probably going that route. I had budgeted for $1500. I was wrong. Very wrong.

Engine- Tohatsu 5hp LPG (Propane! I love that.) $2200

Battery, wiring, VHF, bilge pump, etc.- honestly, I don't want to even think about that right now. I prefer to kid myself into thinking I can build the boat for the above costs.

Oh yeah- paint- I'm using Interlux. I haven't priced it lately, but it's around $200 a gallon. I will need probably three gallons. (gasp)

Epoxy- Six gallons is called for, but he wants you to coat it with THREE coats of epoxy. I say that's excessive, especially if using interlux or Awlgrip. I'm using one healthy coat of epoxy prior to paint. I will use Raka UV inhibiting epoxy- even though it's coated- I know the cure times on it and I like to work with what I am familiar with. Roughly $300

Cloth- I have tons of fiberglass cloth on hand. I would say around $100 for cloth. I bought tons of it a while back and haven't had to buy cloth in a long while. I plan to do below the waterline in kevlar for beaching in sand.

FYI- if you were building this on a budget and wasn't as much of a stickler as I am for brightwork and using vertical grain wood for everything (I'm a perfectionist to a flaw), and you just went with Oakoume all around, painted floors and seats, and didn't use spar grade spruce for stringers (but still used it for spars) then I would expect around $2500 to $3000 for the plywood and lumber.

If you lived in the states and were able to more easily get a steel centerboard galvanized, you could make the centerboard of galvanized steel for around $1000, including having the chunk of metal shipped to you, and the cost of galvanizing, but assuming you are going to drive it to the galvanizer yourself and not pay round-trip shipping for that.

If I can do this in under $12,000 I will be ecstatic. Oh, and rigging- I have most of the rigging already. I don't really want to even think about how much the additional pieces are going to cost. There are tons of hurricane damaged boats here that I am hoping to salvage from (*LEAGALLY and with permission).