Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
. Actually it gets glassed below the waterline, and I would probably do extra coats above the waterline, but he wants you to put three coats of epoxy on every surface- inside and out. I think that's overkill when you are also going to paint it. One good coat of epoxy should seal most surfaces. The bilge would get more. That may change when I see how the wood soaks up the epoxy. It may take two and who knows- maybe three coats, but good grief that is going to be a lot of work. I'm hoping one coat will seal things up. She gets taped in all the seams around the seats, and fillets at all the joints in the strakes. Any exposed plywood edges would certainly get three coats, as those tend to absorb a lot, but I don't see the need for three coats on every single surface. I'm spraying it with AwlGrip primer and AwlGrip paint.
Quality epoxy Gelcoat paint costs 3x-5x what the regular epoxy costs.... You want the bulk of the thickness which you sand off doing the leveling, filleting, and fairing to be the cheaper resin.... Once your cheaper resin is all good and leveled, smooth, and flat - you can paint on a much thinner film of expensive paint without massive waste sanding 75% of it back off to level it....

Test it out on scrap wood to test out how it works. Include the filleting process...