Thread: I'm finally building my boat.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    For those interested, here is the cost of materials. Please note that the Sapele is ribbon stripe for the coaming, cabin sides (which is actually a part of the coaming), and the sheer strake, which will be bright finished. Coaming will be two layers of 1/4" which I will likely kerf at the bends on the two inside faces- will see how well it bends first. I was going to use multiple layers of 1/8" but I think this will work. There will be a mahogany cap rail on the coaming. This is just the wood for the mast, spars, boomkin, and bowsprit with plenty of extra spruce for a surfboard build. Cabin roof may be strip planked in spruce as well. I may use some fir from a salvaged mast to put some life from another boat into her.

I am ordering a few more 1/4" than I need. Plans call for 14 and I am ordering 14 Oakoume, but some of the 1/4" will be Sapele, so actually I am getting more than plans call for due to something always goes wrong in a build. I may very well get an additional Sapele, so add another $105 to this cost. Spruce is spar grade old growth quarter sawn 21' lengths.

I am very pleased with $4k for all this. Shipping will add around $400 to this cost. Also the supplier offers bulk discounts, and this is list rate. So far I am way under budget, thanks to saving on the centerboard and eBay deals on all the rigging bits and pieces. Again- plan is to have some sheets left over and a good bit of spruce left over, so actual cost probably $500 less than this.

image.jpg

Edit: I'm amazed- Tropical Shipping will ship all of the above from New Jersey to St. Thomas for $250. I'm going to check and see what the rate is to ship it with the supplier's carrier to Miami since I would still have to ship from MA to NJ. Tropical's main terminal is in Miami.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 08-30-2018 at 4:04 PM.