Thread: I need help with rake and splayed table legs

I need help with rake and splayed table legs

I am building an end table and I want to have the tapered legs rake and splay out at about five degrees in both directions. I want to uses M/T joints where the aprons meet the legs. This calls for either an angled tenon, or an angled mortise. Chopping an angled mortise would be easier. The shoulders on the tenons will have to be angled also to meet the raked and splayed legs.

I have forgotten how to do this at the drafting table. Can anyone help me out? I made one earlier, however, I had to settle for loose joints and glue blocks to secure the legs to the apron. I just can seem to get my head around this.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

How are the legs to be tapered? Over their entire length or just below the aprons? Are they to be tapered on all four sides or only the two outside or inside faces? Will the aprons be angled to align with the legs?

The legs are tapered from top to bottom on all four sides and the aprons will be angled so the outside surface is co-planer with the corresponding leg face.

I am thinking the mortises will have to be angled out towards the outside corner of the leg. The shoulders will need to be offset with the outside face protruding further. Thanks Bob

I sent you a PM, Bob.

Set out each side as a pair of legs connected by a rail at the angle you want. At assembly it will all fall into place with the correct splay. Set it out as a straight tenon with angled shoulders fitting into an angled mortise. What you want to do is basically how bar stools are made. Cheers

I agree, Wayne, but I'm trying to figure out what the angles would be. Thanks, Bob

Draw the components full size on some cardboard, cut them out, lay them on your bench and measure the angle. Sometimes I don't even measure the angle, just make a marking template from a scrap of thin ply and use that to set everything. Cheers

Thanks, Wayne. Will do.