Thread: Steel City parts?

Steel City parts?

Hey folks. I have a 15" Steel City planer (model 40255) that I want to put a helical head into. I bough a compatible Shelix head from Grizzly, but now I realize I should be replacing the bearings since I'll have it opened up. Does anyone know how/where one can source replacement parts for Steel City machines? Better yet, anyone also have this machine and put a helical head on it? Would love to hear about your experience, in addition to locating replacement bearings. Thanks a bunch!

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.54.11 AM.png

Can't help with the other parts but the bearings should be easy. Just take the old bearings in to a bearing or motor rebuild shop or record the bearing model number and use that to get the correct new bearings.

Bearings can be found at local bearing houses, auto parts stores, Amazon, Ebay. etc. The numbers are stamped on the side of the bearing. The manual looks like a 6205 and 6204? on the gearbox side. Verify the number on the bearing before purchasing but those are pretty common. If you don't have a press, the bearing can be put on the shaft with a hammer and a deep well socket that is slightly larger than the shaft. That is a generic 4 post planer. If you need other parts in the future I bet Grizzly parts would probably fit it. Grizzly also has a video online that shows you how to replace the cutter head.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 06-29-2018 at 2:30 PM.