Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutech Planers

Cutech Planers

Anyone have any experience with Cutech planers? What do you like or dislike? My Dewalt 735 needs to be replaced, and I am considering Cutech 40200 HC with carbide cutters. Cutech is supposed to have a free shipping sale starting on the Fourth of July weekend which makes them close in price to a new Dewalt 735. Thanks, Larry

Larry, I have that planer and like it fine. In case you don't know already, it's not a true "helical" head, so it won't completely solve tearout on figured grain, but I think the surface it leaves is still better than straight knives.

The carbide cutters do last a lot longer than steel. I've had mine in their original positions for over a year, planing nothing but hardwood, and they're still working like new.

It is, of course, still a benchtop planer, so there is usually a little snipe. There are ways to deal with that, but that's a different discussion. Basically, it's a solid tool with a tried and true design. Also, excellent customer service. I'd buy it again.

Seems like cutech is a relatively new brand, though the reviews I've seen are more positive than not. But until they get better established I'd rather have a known/proven brand like Dewalt if I had a choice. But again, that's just me - YMMV.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Seems like cutech is a relatively new brand,

Fred
    Cutech has been around, they made planers for several other importers like Steel City prior to bringing them out under their own name, IIRC when Steel City went under is when they started selling under their own name. Personally, if I was in the market for a lunchbox planer I would get the Dewalt, not due to the brand but simply because it is the best planer in the class.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Cutech has been around, they made planers for several other importers like Steel City prior to bringing them out under their own name, IIRC when Steel City went under is when they started selling under their own name. Personally, if I was in the market for a lunchbox planer I would get the Dewalt, not due to the brand but simply because it is the best planer in the class.
    I'm not about to challenge your knowledge of machinery, Van. I haven't (personally) seen or heard of them until recently. If you have, that's good to know.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I'm not about to challenge your knowledge of machinery, Van. I haven't (personally) seen or heard of them until recently. If you have, that's good to know.
    Fred
    I hope my post didn't come across harsh, as I certainly did not mean it to. Cutech is kinda like Harvey, a Chinese company that has made machines for importers for years then decided to start importing machines under their own name. Based on the timing of Cutech coming directly to the US my guess is they had lots of planer parts for the Steel City planer when SC abruptly exited the market and decided to sell them under their own name. Initially, it was on a clunky website and eBay now from a not so clunky website. My point is they have a history in the US market beyond just the last year or so.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I don't know about the name Cutech or its origin, but it's my understanding that the company is owned by former employees of Steel City. When Steel City went under, these guys made a few changes to the cutterhead and started selling the same machine under the Cutech name. This information came to me through a discussion in the router forums, in which the company owner and one of his employees posted extensively.

The planer is based on the old Ridgid 1300 (?) machine, which has also seen various badges over the years. The current Cutech is also being sold with the Rikon badge, although Rikon is a bit prouder of it.

I'm aware of the Dewalt's stellar reputation in its class, and also that a lot of people think the knives wear out too fast when planing hard woods. That was what pushed me toward the Cutech, and I haven't regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I don't know about the name Cutech or its origin, but it's my understanding that the company is owned by former employees of Steel City.

I think you are talking about Doug Davenport, he started out selling parts to the machine companies, later worked at Steel City and when he left started working with the same factory as Steel City used to sell Cutech (from Cutterhead Technology).

I have the Steel City planer, which, according to the comparing I have done, is pretty much the same as the Cutech. Mine has the two-sided steel cutters and works very well. If I ever wear out the cutters, I'll get the Cutech carbide, which are supposed to fit.

"I think you are talking about Doug Davenport..."

Yes, that name sounds right (Davenport). Didn't know about the origin of the Cutech name.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I hope my post didn't come across harsh,
    Thanks Van. No offense was taken.
    Fred

Van, not harsh at all and I appreciate the insight. Most of the machines available to us come from these kinds of companies, so a branded product that is actually developed and made by the same company is rare.

Thanks to everyone who responded and a big thanks to Nick. I couldn't pass up a good deal and am tired of paying so much for Dewalt replacement blades. I ordered the Cutech 40200 HC-CT with carbide blades. In case anyone else is interested, Cutech has free shipping on planers and jointers. Also, they don't charge sales tax unless you live in Tennessee.

My pleasure, Larry. In case you're interested, the Wixey DRO works nicely on that machine.

And not to hijack this thread, but what about their ( Cutech )8 inch jointer? Yes, those cast iron long bed 500 pound jointers are superior, but for the weekend hobby guy those 50 pound bench top $450 jointers are seductive. Thoughts?