Thread: Moving Trouble

Moving Trouble

Hello,
    This is a bit of an oddball question - but the moving company is about to deliver all of the items from my shop space tomorrow (a big move from CA to WA), and I realized there may be a problem. After the truck was loaded up, sealed, ramps removed and carted away...they had me sign the inventory sheet. Then while walking out to the street the inventory guy tells me he accounted for about 80% of the items on the truck, the movers were just going too fast for him to keep up! I'm a bit green as this is my first big move like this with 'professionals' and in the confusion I did not realize how important this fact could be.

So, now they are going to deliver tomorrow and technically there is no way for me to tell that every box is accounted for. My plan right now is to not sign the inventory sheet after they unload and tell them sorry, but they can come back in a week or so once I have unpacked and we can sign if I don't notice anything missing.

Does that sound like a fair tactic? Not sure if there's anything else I can do. I let the company office know as well as the corporate customer service but have gotten no answers. Any thoughts...
    Last edited by Evan Lentz; 06-28-2018 at 9:17 PM.

I will ask a dumb question. When everything was loaded on the truck, nothing was left in the shop unless you took it with you? Was your stuff the only items on the truck, they weren't moving someone else at the same time? If it was the first question, then you may not need to worry as much. If it was the second, then I would be concerned your stuff might not all be there and I would try to open what you can before signing. If they were moving to fast for the guy to do his job effectively then they should be responsible for missing items, but I doubt the guy wrote that down.

Ltl nmfta rules state 5 days max to report concealed damage. I doubt the drive will leave until the bill of laden is signed. Its your responsibility to inspect items as delivered. If you make them leave there is guarantee that you did not do something youself to the shipment after they leave. You dont get an inspection week. If you notice of suspect damage immediately note it in writting and refuse shipment. Take lots of digital pictures. Read up on your rights. Understand your limitations.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You say the truck was "sealed" bef0re it left your old house, therefore if you witness the breaking of the seal at your new house shouldn't that satisfy your concern?

All good points. I can't be certain that my stuff was the only stuff on there. They were vague on that point (initially telling me that would be the case then changing things up a few days before the move) and after loading the trailer was still only half full. Unfortunately I did not witness the sealing of the truck, I was just told that after the doors were locked up.

I had quite a lot of boxes on there so it'll be hard to unpack/determine while they are unloading. I am not as concerned about damage as much as I am about loss. I think I will just stick to the no-signing method and see what comes of it. It might suck for the driver since he's responsible, but I am not sure I have much choice really. I'd be happy to sign once I get mostly unpacked and can tell all the good stuff is accounted for, but that'll a good part of a week. Anyhow - it will be interesting.

When we moved a few years ago, they put a bar code sticker on EVERY piece as it was packed a loaded. I guess if one wanted to check I could have cross referenced, but didn't feel the need. Had way too much stuff anyway!!

Good luck with yours.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    When we moved a few years ago, they put a bar code sticker on EVERY piece as it was packed a loaded.
    I wish I had your movers!

When I moved to this address, I numbered and color coded our boxes before the movers arrived and had a written description of what was in each box. Nothing writing on the outside of the box other than the number/color code and a room designation. ("Shop" didn't appear, but "garage" did)

I hope that your stuff is all ok when it arrives.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If they put a seal on the trailer and it is intact then you can be sure everything that was loaded is still there just make sure the numbers match

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    When we moved a few years ago, they put a bar code sticker on EVERY piece as it was packed a loaded. I guess if one wanted to check I could have cross referenced, but didn't feel the need. Had way too much stuff anyway!!

Good luck with yours.
    Ditto. EVERY SINGLE THING got a sticker and put on the inventory, and got marked off the inventory as it was unloaded. They used something like 280 stickers, and accounted for every one of them. My wife had a ~6' length of 1" PVC pipe with her workout equipment (that she uses for stretching or something) and even it got a sticker and put on the inventory: "PVC pipe".

Having moved 5 times in the last 16 years (all long cross country moves with professionals), my advice to you is RELAX. They are going to lose something, you can bet on that, but it will be something that you do not notice for quite a while. Besides, if you read the fine print, you will discover that they normally pay for losses by the pound. Trucking and moving companies would make a can of sardines look like they had non slip skins.

Well, they unloaded yesterday and around 40% of the boxes didn't have stickers on them. Plus the driver had already broken the 'seal' before he arrived. I had them unload everything then refused to sign the inventory checklist. Instead I made a note on the page of the entire situation. I did however reluctantly sign the bill of lading, but made a note on that too about the issues with the shipment. At least there is a bit of a paper trail now in case something is gone. Hoping for the best though! Will be filing a complaint with the FMCSA just to leave a mark.

Bill of laden signed, they are all good. Wish you the best of luck too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.