Thread: Ready for Paint

Ready for Paint

The changing table is together and is waiting on MsBubba finding time to paint the base. I'm putting together the drawer. The tails are cut, next are the pins and the bottom grove. As I fully expect in a year or so the changing table will become fire wood the drawer will have a applied front of what ever wood the top ends up made from and the drawer will have metal slides. That said, the table is stout with all the joints either draw bored or pegged.

changingTable.jpg

The top will be attached with "Z" hooks and I plan on putting a rail around it to help hold the changing pad. The rail will be attached with loose fitted dowels that have been "blind pegged" so the rail can be removed when no longer needed. I've a few days off before the 4th's trip to the White Mountains (I'm still advocating for Mexico but expect to be overruled) so my part of the build should be finished in a few days.

ken

The changing table is turning out great but what I really like is your lumber supply. I've got to stop buying tools and switch to lumber.

Consider extending the height of the rail to keep the baby on the pad as well. DAMHIKT

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    The changing table is turning out great but what I really like is your lumber supply. I've got to stop buying tools and switch to lumber.
    Richard,

You might think twice about that, tools are cheap, easy to move and store. Wood not so much.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    Consider extending the height of the rail to keep the baby on the pad as well. DAMHIKT
    Dan,

I expect it will be high enough for that double function . Last thing I want is a bouncing baby girl, on the floor.

ken

Blog Entries
    As I fully expect in a year or so the changing table will become fire wood
    Maybe it can become a part of a tradition. Write the family name on the bottom and then pass it on to another family to do the same. Maybe it could become "The Traveling Changing Table of Tucson."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe it can become a part of a tradition. Write the family name on the bottom and then pass it on to another family to do the same. Maybe it could become "The Traveling Changing Table of Tucson."

jtk
    Jim,

Good idea. The girl child can not have another, the boy child and wife I hope will not have another. Passing it on to other families with the provision they sign and pass on works for me.

ken

Looks good, Ken.
    I think you mentioned milk paint in another thread. Any recommendations on a milk paint source? I've not used it but would like to on a sewing table I'll be building for my fiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Looks good, Ken.
    I think you mentioned milk paint in another thread. Any recommendations on a milk paint source? I've not used it but would like to on a sewing table I'll be building for my fiance.
    Nathan,

Here are the two I've used. Both are available at Woodcraft and I expect from Amazon.

milkPaint.jpg

The General Finish paint acts a little more like a modern paint but looks very much like milk paint when finished. The Old Fashion Paint, dry in a sack, goes on like and looks like a traditional mike paint. I use the General Finish more than the Old Fashion mostly because it is ready to use and is easier. Both work well.

I like to use a different color undercoat because of the "look" as it wear but mostly I like the feel and low sheen of a milk painted finished piece.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Nathan,

Here are the two I've used. Both are available at Woodcraft and I expect from Amazon.

milkPaint.jpg

The General Finish paint acts a little more like a modern paint but looks very much like milk paint when finished. The Old Fashion Paint, dry in a sack, goes on like and looks like a traditional mike paint. I use the General Finish more than the Old Fashion mostly because it is ready to use and is easier. Both work well.

I like to use a different color undercoat because of the "look" as it wear but mostly I like the feel and low sheen of a milk painted finished piece.

ken
    Thank you, Ken.

Ken make sure you post pics of the blind pegged dowels. I can't form a picture of them at all.

Looks good Ken. Is Msbubba going to do some fancy paint work? Bears, birds and such or just paint.
    Oh and someone left the basement door open and Ralph got out again
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Looks good Ken. Is Msbubba going to do some fancy paint work? Bears, birds and such or just paint.
    Oh and someone left the basement door open and Ralph got out again
    Jim
    James,

I expect just white but she may surprise. Then it also could be changed by either the girl child or the DIL once it gets to Houston. I figure my job is done once the carcass is finished.

Yeah, doesn't happen often and for the most part Ralph is harmless except when he finds some new rust.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 06-29-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Ken make sure you post pics of the blind pegged dowels. I can't form a picture of them at all.
    Ralph,

Will do. It is a simple process. A nail where you want the dowel. Snip off all but 6mm or so. Place the other piece where you want it and press down, marking the second piece. Pull out the snipped nail, drill your dowel holes using the nail marks. A sheet of cake to do.

ken

One more grove to cut and do the pins to finish the drawer. In spite of a pretty good wood pile it looks like a trip to the wood store for the top. I really do not want to re-saw some of the 8/4 stock for a 4/4 top, a waste of good wood.

ken