Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: half blind dovetail kerfing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    James you are suggesting tool maintenance, which I suspected...
    Have you given the tool the same treatment as one would use for a cabinet scraper, without drawing the burr obviously.
    How often do you give the tool a service?

Guessing someone's tried a pull stroke rip tooth profile, without either set or fleam,...
    It must not hold up?
    Thanks for sharing your story James

Tom
    It's been so long ago I forgot where I first heard about it. It may have been from FW when Tag Frid was around. I just used a cabinet scraper as was suggested. Like any tool I like sharp. I did experiment with a putty knife some. That was the days before so many thin saw plates. Ron' tool, Derek's tool and Stewie's tools all would seem to work, I never tried any of them. If I use a scraper now I don't use a burr of course. I don't think about it much because I've become a dreaded pins first person. I would also need to gather different scrapers for different saws. I just don't find it that difficult to clear the waste out and I get to clean up the pins anyway. Stewie's tool looks very nice. Classy tool to have in your shop.
    Jim

In regard to maintenance, I built the kerfing chisel I use about 9 years ago. In this time, it has not received any maintenance (as one does a scraper blade). I have cut a lot of dovetail sockets in this period. I like the idea of treating the blade as per a scraper, as Stewie posted, but it has not been necessary. This may reflect the durability of the stainless steel I used.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    In regard to maintenance, I built the kerfing chisel I use about 9 years ago. In this time, it has not received any maintenance (as one does a scraper blade). I have cut a lot of dovetail sockets in this period. I like the idea of treating the blade as per a scraper, as Stewie posted, but it has not been necessary. This may reflect the durability of the stainless steel I used.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Now Derek, we all know that you built your tool as a chisel because your a metal hammer guy now and you would beat up your tool and your hammer if you just used a scraper
    Jim

Stewie's tool looks great, but I never have time to make such things. I tried one of these, since I had a new one, the steel is pretty good, and they come with pretty good edges. I don't know of any other than W. Rose ones that would come close to this quality though. If it fits, which it happened to do when I needed one, it works just fine in Walnut.

https://www.krafttool.com/products/b.../by-sku/RO58-5

Carried one for 6 years...except mine was by Marshalltown...Use them enough, and the edges will get razor sharp.