Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

Blog Entries
    Always seem to be two camps here. Those that wouldn't be without one (or more) and those that do all those things another way. Space is too limited in my shop to spare the footprint required. On the other hand I have a drum sander which takes up a large footprint ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No, I do not own a RAS nor have I ever owned one. If I was in the situation where I needed to do a lot of dado/cross cut in thick timbers, I'd probably like to have one and in that case, I'd try really hard to find an old-iron or equivalent of the more industrial and safer tools. No way would I use one of the various "consumer" versions--I've never been comfortable with them, but that's a personal opinion and not likely shared by all. And I'd never rip on a RAS, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a nice old Dewalt GE, I got it within a few months of getting my sliding saw though, so the intended use of a dedicated cross cut dado machine became a function of the slider. It's a cool machine, and I'll keep it because I have the room for now, but it doesn't get used currently.

I have a couple that I bought for special trim that only the RAS would work. Needed 2 as I had 2 crews installing. When Dewalt came out with the 12 inch compound miter saw I switched over to that. I only use them when I need to cross cut or dado I have one set up each way.

Delta 900 here set up for crosscutting only. I have a chopmaster on it and use a wobble dado blade as needed. It’s a pain to do miter cut since I would need 2 fences and moving the fences is a pain for a few miter cuts.
    Don

Yes, only for Xcuts. I keep it on one setting and never change it.

Only the best or "old iron" saws can be reliably changed and expected to return to original settings.

I paint the table red 4" on each side of the blade as a reminder where to keep my hand.

I have restored several over the years. I would probably have ne if I had the space. I just don't use one enough to justify the space.

My RAS is an indispensable machine for accurate crosscutting. Would never be without one.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I don't own one however I've used larger commercial saws at work.

I have no need one for one as I have a sliding table saw.........Regards, Rod.

If i had the room, id love to have a large one. I currently cart a chop saw outside if im whacking boards to rough length. This becomes annoying for things over 9" width, because i have to flip them and cut again. Also, a miter saw isnt the most powerful thing in the world. One day ill buy one of the 14"+ blade RAS at auction for $100 and make it my dedicated rough work saw.

I have a 1956 DeWalt MBF and wouldn't be without it. Makes clean, accurate repeatable crosscuts every time. It replaced a Craftsman square arm which did none of those things, and I was happy to see the back of the C-man.

I might replace the MBF with a 7790 someday for a little more depth and cutting power, but I couldn't see not having a RAS. From a standpoint of usability, dust collection and overall capacity it blows away the miter saw I used to own.

I have a DeWalt 1030 round arm. I really enjoy this saw. Once set up correctly with a good table it is deadly accurate. My father had a small repair business as a second job and I can remember how excited he was when he bought his new Craftsman radial arm. i guess that's where I was first exposed to and learned to appreciate the radial arm saw. Though I am glad that I have the DeWalt as opposed to my dads' Craftsman.

I would dearly love to have one just for making dados. I would leave it set up just for dados.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have had a Craftsman RAS for many years and it gets frequent use in my shop (as recently as today). I use it as my primary crosscutting tool and it comes in handy for a variety of other tasks too such as knocking off the bad ends of reclaimed lumber prior to stockpiling (using an old blade) and more.

I have a DeWalt 7790 (solid top cast iron arm, 3.5HP) with a 10" blade and a DeWalt Model 925. I use them for everything: cross cuts, bevel cuts, dados and ripping. The DeWalt RAS is the most flexible machine and my shop and the machine I trust most to get the job done. If you have a solid top cast iron saw, you set it up properly and you use the proper blade on it (like a Freud LU83 series or a Forrest Woodworker I ("Mr. Sawdust") TCP blade), its a safe reliable tool that stays solidly in adjustment.