Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

I have one that has not been used for years. Of course my table saw has not been used lately either.
    The RAS is bit scary.

I'm just curious.

Yes and yes but I only use it for crosscutting with carefull set up and the correct blade it works just fine.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I vaguely remember cutting dadoes with mine. I put 1X12 wings on mine and I could rip on it.

I put 1X12 wings on mine and I could rip on it.[/QUOTE]

I admire your courage!

I used it recently for cutting floor boards (new) when installing a new floor in my home. Just crosscutting, but excellent for repetitive non-perpendicular cuts.

As for ripping, I don't know if there is any other tool in my workshop that is as close to being a javelin throwing tool (with just a few mods) as my RAS.

I have a Sears craftsman that is about 50 years old with a 1/2 hp. motor. It is my go to dado machine for bookcases. I will never sell it. I am in the process of reducing its footprint and capacity.

It is only powerful enough to break down under 3/4 of an inch. But, I have used it for some pretty crazy wood machining. I actually really use it only about 6 to 10 times a year. But, I think I would feel lost without it. On the used market I would get less than $100. It’s worth more than $100 to me.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 06-28-2018 at 12:19 AM.

I have one that has not been used in quite a few years. However, once I finish my shop in the next month or so, I will be setting it up to use. I will use it for cross cutting longer boards to make it easier to joint.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    I always use push sticks.

Yes, only for Xcuts. I keep it on one setting and never change it.

Only the best or "old iron" saws can be reliably changed and expected to return to original settings.

I paint the table red 4" on each side of the blade as a reminder where to keep my hand.

I have restored several over the years. I would probably have ne if I had the space. I just don't use one enough to justify the space.

DeWalt GE medium arm, another GE shortarm with powerfeed for ripping and last but not least a Delta Super 900.

FWIW, I can make angle cuts on the Delta that a miter saw can only dream of.

Yes, I use them on a regular basis.

Ed

If I had space for one I would get the biggest I could find. I used to cut webs and cords for trusses on a Metra cut center line saw.
    One of my favorite jobs ever.
    Aj

have no love for those sears things, had one long enough at the start. put the right blade on a radial as mentioned. Your arm should be straight not bent at the elbow when you use it.

No radial arm but a sliding compound miter saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    No radial arm but a sliding compound miter saw.

Mike
    My to. A 12" SCMS. If I had the room I would get a RAS too. Maybe someday.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.