Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

I have a 3 hp, 220v, single phase DeWalt 14 inch long arm in my shop, made in the late 50s, early 60s. It's set up for crosscutting, up to 26 inches, and does a great job. Very accurate and smooth. You won't believe this but I bought it for $40 at a tool and die plant auction. They used it to cut their pattern stock so it was never used a great deal. My lucky day.
    Engineer - noun (en-juh-neer)
    Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
    See also wizard, magician

Quote Originally Posted by joseph mansker View Post
    I bought it for $40 at a tool and die plant auction.
    Yeah that's a great deal!, Good find!

Sounds like one of those "Being In The Right Place At The Right Time" type of deals.

Doug

I have an old Dewalt RAS and it works great. Try to do as much crosscutting as I can with it and only use the table saw for ripping and dados

Had a sears but it took a stiff elbow and even then sometimes I got a climb cut on a crosscut that often stalled. I guess I got to old to use it safely so I got rid of it.

Sears has a recall on a lot of them. Google under sears radial arm recall. They give $100 for the carriage and motor shipped in a box they supply and pay postage for. This was last year.

I did not want to sell something I considered unsafe.

I also sold the steel table the saw was on on craigs list so if you do sell a recalled unit that should be your base price with no extra effort.

Stu

Blog Entries
    Not One, but I have TWO.... Walker Turner from the 1940s. One is earlier than the other one by a few years, one single phase 220 motor, the other one is three phase I run off of a VFD. Yes, Crosscut a LOT on both. 1x material, wide MDF (14") and other stuff as needed. Way easier than using my table saw and I don't have a miter saw. Craftsman I had, I loaned out never to see it again, and a cheap Lowes brand died and I never replaced with another. RAS way safer than those things anyway.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others