Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

Blog Entries

Do you have a radial arm saw and do you use it?

I have one that has not been used for years. Of course my table saw has not been used lately either.
    The RAS is bit scary.

I'm just curious.

Yes and yes but I only use it for crosscutting with carefull set up and the correct blade it works just fine.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I vaguely remember cutting dadoes with mine. I put 1X12 wings on mine and I could rip on it.

I put 1X12 wings on mine and I could rip on it.[/QUOTE]

I admire your courage!

I used it recently for cutting floor boards (new) when installing a new floor in my home. Just crosscutting, but excellent for repetitive non-perpendicular cuts.

As for ripping, I don't know if there is any other tool in my workshop that is as close to being a javelin throwing tool (with just a few mods) as my RAS.

I have a Sears craftsman that is about 50 years old with a 1/2 hp. motor. It is my go to dado machine for bookcases. I will never sell it. I am in the process of reducing its footprint and capacity.

It is only powerful enough to break down under 3/4 of an inch. But, I have used it for some pretty crazy wood machining. I actually really use it only about 6 to 10 times a year. But, I think I would feel lost without it. On the used market I would get less than $100. It’s worth more than $100 to me.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 06-28-2018 at 12:19 AM.

I have one that has not been used in quite a few years. However, once I finish my shop in the next month or so, I will be setting it up to use. I will use it for cross cutting longer boards to make it easier to joint.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

DeWalt GE medium arm, another GE shortarm with powerfeed for ripping and last but not least a Delta Super 900.

FWIW, I can make angle cuts on the Delta that a miter saw can only dream of.

Yes, I use them on a regular basis.

Ed

If I had space for one I would get the biggest I could find. I used to cut webs and cords for trusses on a Metra cut center line saw.
    One of my favorite jobs ever.
    Aj

have no love for those sears things, had one long enough at the start. put the right blade on a radial as mentioned. Your arm should be straight not bent at the elbow when you use it.

No radial arm but a sliding compound miter saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have one that has not been used for years. Of course my table saw has not been used lately either.
    The RAS is bit scary.

I'm just curious.
    I have a Craftsman 10" I bought about 45 years ago. The saw was my primary power tool in three different backyard shops, quite flexible in function. I used it for crosscuts and ripping, perfect for dados especially crosscut dados - very safe and with the blade on top I could see the cut for dados. I used it to cut a lot of molding and picture frames. With a chuck it made a great horizontal drill press for dowel holes in the ends of long pieces. I used it with a sanding drum for curved things before I got a stand-alone drum sander.

The saw was quite accurate once I tuned it to suit me. I kept a piece of sacrificial 1/4" ply on the top.

I didn't think it was the least bit scary. I pushed crosscuts and dados instead of pulled, and made a variety of jigs and hold-downs for narrow stock and moldings. I'd be using it today if I had room in my new shop - I now use a PM66 and Bosch SCMS.

The RAS is now in my garage, on a sturdy wood stand, the first thing I built with the saw. It's up for grabs if anyone local could use it.

JKJ

4 in use, 8 more for back up.

I used up an '80s Craftsman (not a particularly stellar representative of its category, but it seemed worth the price I paid for it at the time) and replaced it with an old DeWalt. My dad's old Craftsman will probably find its way to me one day.

I don't use them as much as some of my other saws, but for me they're worth having in the shop.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    I had a Montgomery Wards RAS that was the start of my woodworking shop about 50 years ago. Got lots of use, including its 20,000 rpm spindle. When I got my Grizzly 1023 15 years ago, I had to get rid of it as I didn't have room for both. Don't really miss it. It was nice for crosscutting wider stock than my 10" Milwaukee miter saw is capable of.
    NOW you tell me...