Thread: DIY LLR for my 3520B Lathe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DIY LLR for my 3520B Lathe

First thanks to Robert Hayward who made one of these a few years back and was very helpful in the design and welding.

I've always drooled over the Lock Lift 'N Roll at Craft Supplies but couldn't stomach the roughly $450 to my door price. I put load leveling casters on my lathe instead but don't like getting on the ground to adjust them nor do I like the way they raised my lathe at least 2" (I'm 5'10"). Thought "I could make this myself." Design is a little trickier than one would think. I used Robert and my 2-D drawing program to mock up pieces out of wood to make sure it would work. I have never welded before (well maybe a bit in 8th grade but I'm 61 now). I planned to save money by getting an $80 HF welder and buy the materials. The materials including fasteners and casters was a little less than $100 but the HF welder wasn't going to cut it so I eventually purchased a Lincoln 180 welder (and a few other things). The welding vortex is just a bad as the turning vortex. Anyway it works better than expected and I picked up another hobby. I got much better at welding as I practiced. Some beads still not that great but the black paint hides the welds pretty well:

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 06-28-2018 at 9:27 AM.