Thread: Homemade Veneer Softener

Homemade Veneer Softener

I have seen several recipes for homemade softener. They all include some sort of glue which seems to me to be asking for finish problems.
    Will a solution of glycerin, water and DNA produce the desired results without the need for glue? Assume the veneer will be dried in a vacuum press.
    Thanks in advance.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I can’t answer your question but if you do use water/DNA and put it in a vacuum press wouldn’t that have potential to harm your vacuum pump. Or do you have a way to prevent that. I am familiar with vacuum kilns and they have water traps.

"Potential" would be a fair assumption I think. I had not considered it. The veneer is between sheets of paper and cauls and moist as opposed to dripping dripping wet. There is very little air exchange through the pump after the initial draw down.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

There was a discussion on this not too long ago. The glycerin, etc. allow the cells within the veneer to move relative to one another; the glue encourages them to remain in their new, flattened position once everything else evaporates. The glue is highly diluted and uniformly distributed, so its effects on finishes is minimal. On the other hand, if you are just softening and pressing a small batch of veneer that you will glue up within a week or two (as is the case for most hobbyists), there is no need for glue in the softener.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Much appreciated James. I only flatten material I am about to use so that answers my question. Thank you.