Thread: Millenium Falcon

Millenium Falcon

Has anyone built one and if so what plans were used and also what wood species was used.

How big? Full scale? Six feet long? Six inches long? Materials choice will depend on size.

6' would be perfect give or take a foot.

If you're a Sketchup user, there are several Millennium Falcon models in the 3D warehouse. They have different amounts of detail, so you can pick one that suits your desired end result.

I'd mostly use plywood for the most part. There's stuff called bending plywood in the US which would work well for some of the big curved surfaces. I'd also do a bunch of turning solid wood to make many of the smaller parts.

If I were making it, I'd expect to paint it. That is, as contrasted to leaving it wood with a clear finish. With paint as the finish, I'd be using maple and/or poplar plywood, and probably poplar lumber for the turned bits. You probably have other species in South Africa.

Thanks Jamie, I am thinking using a solid species for the framework and use balsa for the panels. It would be painted the grey that most resembles the original.

Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    Thanks Jamie, I am thinking using a solid species for the framework and use balsa for the panels. It would be painted the grey that most resembles the original.
    Balsa is light, and its virtue for your project might be that it is easily carved. However, it is rather expensive. It seems to be running about $20 per board foot. For comparison, oak and maple run around $4 per board foot, and plywood is even less than that.