Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard of Mens Sheds?

Blog Entries

Anybody heard of Mens Sheds?

My wife forwarded an article to me a couple of days ago. This is becoming a big deal in Europe and Austrailia.

Maybe this is the pendulum swinging back to in-person fellowship. I remember reading a book years ago called "Bowling Alone" in which the author described the breakdown of our social institutions such as service organizations, churches, local businesses and so on.

My first thought was back to the Kansas City Woodworkers Guild and the open shop there. These sheds appear to be sort of a scaled down version of that.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/life/what-to-do-about-lonely-older-men-put-them-to-work/

Blog Entries
    That sounds like an interesting idea.

There is a group of retirees in Erie, PA that work in an old pattern shop making toys that they donate to Toys for Tots. They work year round and make hundreds and hundreds of toys each year. Anyone can join them.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine such a thing here inside the DC beltway. Space is so expensive. A 1/4 acre lot behind us just sold for around $900,000. And they will have to demolish this really decrepit house on it. AND, the lot isn't all that buildable. About half of it is easement for culverts and stuff to handle underground water.

I'm lucky that we didn't have to pay for the land where we built our house. Our daughter and son-in-law had a large lot that could accomodate another house. So, grandma and grandpa live in the pool house.

I offered up the link sort of wistfully. It's nice to see that guys are getting together again. But the Men's Sheds don't seem to be just gatherings. They seem to involve a dedicated space. That, I think, is unlikely here. sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    That sounds like an interesting idea.

There is a group of retirees in Erie, PA that work in an old pattern shop making toys that they donate to Toys for Tots. They work year round and make hundreds and hundreds of toys each year. Anyone can join them.

Fabulous! What a wonderful idea.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

My son's FIL belongs to something like that. He loves it and it seems worthwhile. They have a lot of really expensive equipment, so it is not cheap, but reasonable.

I have a friend who is a member of an outing club and a search and rescue group; they are both similar in concept, though completely different subject matters. Personally I wouldn't like to be paged out of bed because some yahoo wandered off a trail; but he enjoys it.

For me SMC is an internet version of the Shed. I found SMC when the few local woodworkers I hung with moved away or otherwise passed on. None of my friends knew anything about woodworking and really didn't want to discuss yet another way to sharpen a chisel. One thing I don't suffer from is boredom, I have a seven month backlog in the shop and years of work left on the Barn. SMC provides a certain level of companionship and knowledge in a field that has played a significant role in my life and I feel blessed to have found this wonderful site.

One of the members of our turning club snowbirds in Arizona each winter. The trailer/motorhome park has a large wood shop for the people that stay there.

The downside to community shops are the insurance things you have to do. Stuff like first aid trained people there when open, safety training for everyone that uses the place, enforcing all the rules etc.

If there was one in this city I'd join, especially if it had the big machines we all want.

8. I don't think they will catch on as quick in NA as prices for equipment and space is a lot cheaper and larger than in Europe and australia. I thank my parents for moving from the UK to Canada as I would never have had the opportunity to have my own shop if they didn't. Having lived in aus for too long affording decent machines is a dream for most, along with having enough space to use them, the UK is even worse.

Yes, men's sheds are common in Australia. They are generally set up in an otherwise disused building owned by the town council, a sporting club or whatever. They operate more along the lines of a club as far as rules and regulations go.

I disagree entirely that plenty of space and cheap equipment renders them unlikely to catch on. Australia has truckloads of both. That's not the point of them. Rather, they provide the opportunity to continue associating with trade and craft workers after retirement that does not really exist otherwise. If you want company, it is probably less harmful to your health than the pub. Loneliness is a killer. Go check the suicide statistics for older men. I recommend to everyone that it is worth considering in your area. www.beyondblue.org

Cheers

The problem here in the USA is the need for insurance. This increases the cost and requires taking a class in the use of every tool you wish to use- at a cost. We have had at least three tries to make this work in the last five or so years in the SE Michigan area. Our woodworking club had its meetings at one, Makerspace, for several years. They had lots of great equipment, but the cost was in the low thousands to take enough classes in enough tools to do anything. It only made sense if you only needed one tool, say a wide-belt sander. Then you could take the class, join the group, and use the sander as needed. To replace your workshop would cost almost as much as buying all the tools for yourself. This shop and another folded, the third is still going, for now.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Go to www.mensshed.org where you will find how to set up and run a shed. Insurance is addressed in some detail. The interactive manual on this site published by the Australian Men's Shed Association is recognised and used internationally. Cheers

Some members of Men's do not use machinery or make anything, they just go along for the company, perhaps help run the place or maybe hang out and play cards. The concept was first thought up some years ago in Oz and now it is fairly well established and the Government both state and federal supports them with grants for machinery, building work etc. Some of them are basically self supporting due to what they make and sell such as animal traps etc. Here is the one I am most familiar with because I sold them the dust extractor when I was involved with Clearvue

https://corrimalmensshed.weebly.com
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Seems like a combination of a rod and gun club and Wolford's garage. Folks go to the rod and gun club to take part in sports, or just sit and have conversation in the club house. There was a guy near here that had a huge garage, with lifts, welding equipment, etc. In one corner of this large space, was a refrigerator with drinks, a TV set and some old couches and easy chairs. Folks would go there to work on their cars or just sit and BS. Gary Wolford had been a race car driver and had retired from a career running his excavating company. I had only been there once or twice. I could see where folks were drawn to hanging out there. I just wasn't "into cars" the way others here are.

In the end it is what you want to make it. I had work friends who admit they are not game to retire because they would have nothing to do which is a very sad commentary on how they have lived their life IMHO. Me, I reckoned work just got in the way of living and I was gone the day I reached retirement age.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

15. Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Yes, men's sheds are common in Australia. They are generally set up in an otherwise disused building owned by the town council, a sporting club or whatever. They operate more along the lines of a club as far as rules and regulations go.

I disagree entirely that plenty of space and cheap equipment renders them unlikely to catch on. Australia has truckloads of both. That's not the point of them. Rather, they provide the opportunity to continue associating with trade and craft workers after retirement that does not really exist otherwise. If you want company, it is probably less harmful to your health than the pub. Loneliness is a killer. Go check the suicide statistics for older men. I recommend to everyone that it is worth considering in your area. www.beyondblue.org

Cheers
    Australia has truck loads of desert - if that's what you mean by space. They don't have cheap equipment - that's for sure, Not is, unless you are talking about all the second grade chinese stuff that gets dumped here.
    Last edited by matteo furbacchione; 06-30-2018 at 3:57 AM.