Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Shelf Pin Jig do You Use?

What Shelf Pin Jig do You Use?

I am getting materials and tools together to start making cabinets for our kitchen. Part of that project will be drilling 1/4" holes for adjustable shelves. What shelf pin jigs do you guys use to drill holes for shelving?

Thanks,

Bob

I made Norm Abram's shelf pin jig. I like the plunge router method better than the drill ... but you have to make the holes before assembly.

Jim

The Kreg shelf pin jig is $34 and works perfectly fine for me.

Years ago, I made the wood NYW version of the very nice, but very expensive aluminum MEG jig. It continues to work well for me for the limited amount of cabinet work I do and a plunge router makes very clean holes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use one from Rockler and I also use the Kreg. Both jigs work well for me.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have the woodpecker jig also. I have a dedicated DeWalt 611 router for it.

I made one that uses a plunge router and jig. It is the WWA jig and you can Google it to find how to build it. With the router and spiral down cut bit it makes made extremely clean holes. I think I made 5 mm metric sized holes. My jig was 36 inches long and I could make the holes along it in less than a minute and with a plunge router could make the holes a consistent depth.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 06-26-2018 at 8:30 PM.

I have the aluminum MEG jig that Jim mentioned and it works great. I also made the NYW version as well which is almost identical to the MEG jig.

Blog Entries
    I lay them out carefully with a scale and square. Then use a brad point bit in a drill press to drill the holes. I've never had a problem with shelf wobble. Just a word of caution, make sure you mark your pieces with and UP arrow and pay attention when drilling your holes. DAMHIKT.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I make a wooden version of the MEG jig. Make them in both 1" and 32 mm spacing. Made my first ones using a Bridgeport with a DRO. Figured a cheaper way to make them that's just as accurate. Unfortunately, it's a trade secret.

I built a jig a few years ago out of 5/4 hard maple. I had a friend with a drilling machine drill it out for me. Gave me a couple of rows with different set back all spaced at 1". It has worked well for me with no wobble at all. The thick maple ensures my drill is straight and keeps the drill from wearing out the holes.

The only time I had a problem was when I did one side from the bottom and the other from the top. I hate it when I leave my brain at home.

I do long for a drilling machine so it is much more automated.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I don't own this but it looks pretty cool. $300 on Amazon.

I use this. http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...51&cat=1,42311
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Made my own that worked well, except the vertical line was closer to one edge than the other (one edge lined up with front of shelf. Forgott to flip the jig when I drilled the holes for the opposite side. Had to plug them and re-drill them. Other than that, all was well. Also made my own jig for drilling dog holes in work bench.