Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Shelf Pin Jig do You Use?

Shop made "T" that uses a plunge router.

Works as slick as goo through a goose....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    I have the Rockler jig too, works fine for me
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I made one that uses a plunge router and jig. It is the WWA jig and you can Google it to find how to build it. With the router and spiral down cut bit it makes made extremely clean holes. I think I made 5 mm metric sized holes. My jig was 36 inches long and I could make the holes along it in less than a minute and with a plunge router could make the holes a consistent depth.
    Have you had any problem with using a down cut bit. They tend to pack the chips and heat up when drilling

Hello Bob, I only drill 3 holes per shelf, one where I think I want it, and one above and below.

I use a drill press with a fence with a stop, and a couple of spacer blocks 32mm in size.

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Woodhaven with a plunge router with a brass guide bushing.
    NOW you tell me...

I use a piece of pegboard screwed to an edge guide (scrap wood). It works well for me.

I have had no problems using a down cut router bit. I use it because it tends to make a cleaner hole than an up cut bit.

I built all of the cabinets with the WWA jig. I prefinished all the cabinet parts prior to making the holes. The cabinets were built for Euro style hinges. All of the hinges and drawer slides used the holes.

Shop Cabinets All B.JPG

Down cut is going to make for a cleaner hole, but...don't let it dwell in the material as heat is typically generated from the debris that isn't getting ejected from the hole and that can cause smoldering that can transition to a fire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the Lee Valley jig. Probably over-engineered, but I get perfectly aligned holes every time

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I use a piece of pegboard screwed to an edge guide (scrap wood). It works well for me.
    I also use pegboard. I've made two versions, enlarging the important holes as needed. The first was made for a 1/4" VIX bit. The second was made to fit a router bushing so I could use my DW611 router and plunge base with a 1/4" bit. A piece of scrap attached to each provides alignment and a clamping surface.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have the Rockler jig too, works fine for me
    This

http://www.rockler.com/jig-itreg-she...-centering-bit

I started with a plywood template and a drill with a 5mm bit. I made the templates with a buddy's linebore. I did that for years.

Then a Delta 13 spindle
    Then a Ritter R46
    Now we use a Gannomat Proline 50.

Hopefully by this time next year I'll have a router in place.

Just a note about using a down cut router bit. Some seem to be concerned about a "fire" hazard. I have made hundreds of holes and never have observed any issues. I use sharp bits and keep them clean. Maybe there are other applications that I am not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Just a note about using a down cut router bit. Some seem to be concerned about a "fire" hazard. I have made hundreds of holes and never have observed any issues. I use sharp bits and keep them clean. Maybe there are other applications that I am not aware of.
    There's nothing wrong with using a downcut and it does provide the best entry quality. In fact, it's about the best choice for this job. The caution is to not let the down-cut bit dwell in the hole for very long because it really can generate enough heat to cause a hazard. The reason for this is because the chips can't get ejected efficiently and it's the chips that carry the heat away from the cutter. There are plenty of examples of that in the CNC community, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Made a pantry cupboard for a couple - used the CNC. Both side the same, and more fun to watch than do...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...