Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Domino Prices & Use

I swear I just saw some guy selling a brand new Seneca adapter. Maybe on FOG? Something like he had it, lost it, bought another and then found the original. Maybe make him an offer and save yourself a few bucks.

I checked out the .de stuff last night. shipping doubles as I added systainers, but still a good deal. Too bad I already have the 14mm cutter.

I think you will be happy with the purchase. If you build a decent amount, this tool speeds things up immensely. I’m under the gun to put together a king size bed frame while simultaneously working on some other paid projects. I wouldn’t even be close to where I am without the 700. Not to mention the knockdown connectors are fast and clean to install.

One of my friends makes his own loose tenons in strips on the shaper then cuts them to length. It seems to work for him...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Halsted View Post

I did not order the Seneca adapter yet because why is it so damn expensive?
    It's a precision machined and anodized product and there's a limited market for it. So they ask for a price that covers their cost and risk and provides a reasonable profit to offer it. The quality of the products that Seneca makes is very, very good and it's nice to be able to support a small business that is willing to cater to a unique market.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For $70 you are essentially replacing the need for a separate $900 tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    For $70 you are essentially replacing the need for a separate $900 tool.
    Excellent point...
    --

$70 for that adapter is a good deal. I have had smaller shafts than that machined and they cost $175-$300. The local shop rate here for the lathe is $130/hr. To mill that to precise diameter, thread, and create the flat will take a bit of time when all is said and done. That is not the type of thing that is done in a great volume.

I am surprised Festool allows .de or UK amazon sites to ship outside their regions. The Germans are very controlling of their areas, and it is easy to lose your right to sell their products if you ship outside your region. I would have never thought to look at those sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post

I am surprised Festool allows .de or UK amazon sites to ship outside their regions. The Germans are very controlling of their areas, and it is easy to lose your right to sell their products if you ship outside your region. I would have never thought to look at those sites.
    Festool is aware of it, I have talked about it on FOG for several years and others have as well. While I am not sure about the region thing Festool can NOT compel their dealers in most of Europe and the UK to sell at a fixed price this is why the prices are so much better.

Speaking of deals everyone should check their emails today from eBay, if you were picked they have a eBay bucks deal 10% if you use the app and 8% if you use the regular site. I would post a link but it is non-transferable. While the 10%/8% comes as eBay bucks you can use them just like "cash" on eBay, you get them all at the end of each earning period. It is a great way to save on never discounted items like Festool. BTW you need to be signed up for eBay bucks to get the offers, it is 1% all the time and then they have higher offers like this on a regular basis.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, I appreciate the info. I will think of this in the future for sure.

FYI Van posted an eBay link for 15% off up to $100, which can be used on Festool. These are the kind of things you need to look out for to get any kind of Festool discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    FYI Van posted an eBay link for 15% off up to $100, which can be used on Festool. These are the kind of things you need to look out for to get any kind of Festool discount.

That one ended last night. eBay is a solid way to save on Festool and several of the big name Festool dealers list items there, most of the Festool I have bought on eBay (new) has been from Hartville. You do have to know the going price for something, I was going to buy a Bosch 12v Flexi-Click yesterday but even with the discount the best price was just $2 cheaper than Amazon so I refrained.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

You've already bought the small dominos but I've wondered if getting the 6mm cutter Seneca sells separately plus the cutters the XL uses would be enough. I haven't bit the bullet yet but am thinking I will before retiring. The other advantage of the 6mm XL cutter is it would cut deeper mortises. Another source of cheaper cutters is CMT. I have been happy with their router bits and saw blades.

Seneca doesn't recommend their 6mm cutter for the 700XL for "regular use". It's basically a re-machined 700XL 8mm cutter and at that smaller diameter, it's not as strong as desired for regular use. They say to only employ it when you actually need the depth and to use the adapter with the 500 cutter for "regular" 6mm domino needs where the plunge is less deep. At first, this might seem like a money play, but it's likely that there is some reasonable truth to the concern about the longer, re-machined cutter.
    --

I bought the original Domino joiner years ago for a specific job. I had budgeted in almost a week just for cutting joinery. I was mind blown when every joint was milled and dry fitted in an afternoon. It literally paid for itself before I even really knew how to use it. Some may see the tool as sort of pricey, and the Dominos may be premium priced for the amount of material, but when your counting minutes as dollars, the ROI can be rather high.

Reviving old thread but right now there is a 15% discount code on eBay (use code PICKFAST) and you will save $100 on the tool...($100 is maximum savings.)

Looking on Ebay and I can buy one out of Italy for around $1100 plus shipping (the 700). Are the plugs and power set ups the same? Any suggestions on buying the tool from the EU via Ebay?
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck