Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Made Saw Vise recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Heck, it has to be turned end for end so why not move it along?

jtk
    Ya I can’t tell if I’m being lazy or obsessive. When I start researching this stuff I fixate on the “ideal” solution. Which of course rarely exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Imhoff View Post
    Hi, Seth. I would put it at the low end of intermediate skills. The vertical concept of the spring joint is making a one degree bevel on the 1" clamping face of vise (zero at the top to one degree at the bottom) so that under compression, and, along with the horizontal spring you have narrowed the point of contact which gives it its clamping force. I bought the hardware kit from TH and made the jaws 18". The instructions do require some study and creative imagination at times. The end result is very pleasing and grips like a dog on a bone.
    thanks Sanford I appreciate the info!!

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was thinking a bit about this, the short metal vise versus the long wooden one. Mine is quite a bother to clamp the saw, I need a few extra clamps. So it is not great for "moving the saw along". In a metal vise with just a toggle clamp that works much better. When I have or want to turn the saw around i just take the whole sawvise, with clamps and saw and all and turn it around in my bench vise.

I have always wanted to make a nice wooden one. Sure need to move that up a few steps on my to do list.

I made this a few years ago, 24" jaws made from a piece 8/4 cherry that had a bow in it. The bow worked out nicely.

0627181509.jpg
    0627181510_HDR.jpg
    0627181517a.jpg
    0628180922.jpg

No idea why the pictures are rotated, sorry
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

It's an iphone thing. You have to open them up in editing software and then save them before they will display as intended. Not sure why. Nice vice though!

Good tip Pete, i seldom use my Samsung for pictures but i'll give it a go next time

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    It's an iphone thing. You have to open them up in editing software and then save them before they will display as intended. Not sure why. Nice vice though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Good tip Pete, i seldom use my Samsung for pictures but i'll give it a go next time

Brian
    Don't you just love it when our technology does something for us we don't want it to do without asking?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

LOL

I consider myself "Tech Savy" but i still get an education often

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Don't you just love it when our technology does something for us we don't want it to do without asking?

jtk

Usually just holding the phone on it's side ( Landscape) taking a picture.....then it comes out right-side up here. might try that?

Those folding saw vises were more for the fellows that used to sit on the street corner..sharpening saws. Others had a push cart, and also sharpened knives and other such items..while you waited.

The folding saw vise also needed a stool for the operator to sit on....as his foot would keep the vise steady. Might have been how Pete Taran started out?