Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make tapered end of round groove. HELP!

How to make tapered end of round groove. HELP!

I am trying to replicate the wooden arm that goes on an old metal patio chair. I can't figure out how to make the groove that the pipe arm fits into. See pictures. I have a 3/4 core box bit that seems to be the best fit. I have tried a couple different ramps and such, but I can't seem to get the tapered end looking right. Also, I haven't been able to keep the router perfectly straight, even with an edge guide.

Suggestions? Other ways of doing this besides a router? Would it be possible to do this on a router table, so I can use the fence for guidance?

This is for a friend, for his wife's birthday, so I'm up against a deadline in the next week or so.

Picture of the original, and one of the blanks I have ready for grooving:

the easy end:

the tapered end:

the groove is flat for the first 6", then rises a total of 0.42 inches from that point until the end of the taper. I've tried making a ramp from those numbers, but the taper is way too long. How do I figure out what slope of ramp and where to start it?

I'm so lost and frustrated right now. I'm willing to do it by hand, but I don't have any carving tools, other than normal chisels.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

The solution for this screams "router table" to me. Assuming you can find the correct cutter, I would make a series of passes through the table starting with the shallowest cut first at the open end and stopping short of the closed end. Then I would raise the cutter slightly for the next pass and stop farther from the closed end. You might have to finish the closed end by hand to remove any step marks from the router cutter.

I'm also thinking of a more complicated method that uses a platform on the router table and wedge under the closed end of the piece to lower it onto the cutter head as it's passed along the fence to create the uniform transition to the final depth.

I wood do it with a ramp
    The ramp I make is usually curved to extract the bit faster at the end

If you do it by hand, sandpaper and a rasp should get you what you want

ramp explained...
    http://world-of-wood.blogspot.com/20...ed-flutes.html
    Last edited by phil harold; 06-26-2018 at 7:42 AM.
    Carpe Lignum

I would also do it with a curved ramp to tilt the router as it reached the end of the cut. Some experimenting will be necessary, but the end result should be very repeatable.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I would also use the router table. Layout a mark on the fence at the location where yo would start to lift the piece off as you slow the feed to a stop, lifting the material completely away.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This type of finish to a groove is done on a spindle moulde/shaper. The cutter is about 150 diameter. The piece is machined with one edge on the table and the grooved face against the fence. Routers have difficulty replicating this effect. Do what you can with a router and hand carve the last bit if a moulder is not available. Cheers

I agree use a shaper and a large diameter cutter.
    Bill D.

Could be done on the TS, as in cutting coves on a TS, for the bulk of it, the tapered end could be fashioned using some hand tools.

Take a compass and some stiff paper and draw some circles of differing diameters. Cut them out with scissors to make radius gauges and check the end of the groove. Alternately try the saw blades you have including the ones from your skilsaw, paint can and plastic lids. Take a saw blade close to that diameter and make a stop cut. Take the piece and put it on the router table and with a round nose bit cut the straight section of the groove. Finish the remainder with a gouge, rotary file, mini sanding drum and sanding paper. You should cut the groove in a larger piece of wood first and then cut to length and shape the outside after the groove is done. Safer and easier to clamp that way.

Jaze, I have some ideas but first I'd like to verify that I understand the cut you want to make. This drawing is a side view cut-away of the groove you'd like to make. Did I get it right ?

x.JPG

Yonak your drawing is incorrect. Picture a buried saw blade cut that’s stopped before going through the end. Straight with an arc of the radius if the blade at the end.

You mean like this ? Is the end radius the same as the cove radius ?

x.JPG

No. End radius is from a shaper cutter as mentioned by another before my posts. It will be the size of the bent chair frame tube it will fit. 4”+.

If absolutely necessary, the tapered end could also be done manually using a very sharp carving gouge of appropriate width. Do the majority of the slot on the router table with feather boards and stops to keep it spot-on and the finesse the end with the gouge.

Or...if you feel like buying a new tool... ..invest in a CNC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I believe I have a solution using a router table if I can get some dimensions and confirmation of the general profile.