Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 2 CNC

Still in the storm clean up mode and I have asked Nate to not ship now until the 16th to give me more time. Time to shop for tooling and get the T slot layout figured where to put.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-03-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Got my machine today and Heavy is the key word. All the boxed stuff is in the shop, plus the stand.... some assy required. The machine is still outside and covered with a canvas, no electronics installed yet. It also worked out the pallet on the trailer with my 4x4 inch spacers is going to be just about the right height for the roller stand.
    I noticed the metal cross members of the table are all drilled and tapped on a pattern. So when I get the machine up and operational I am assuming I can slow the spindle down to drilling speed and drill that pattern in my MFD board. Looks like I need to brush up on my array on a grid skills in either CAD or VCarve Pro V9.xx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-23-2018 at 6:10 PM.

I don't see any boxes and machine...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't see any boxes and machine...
    Pictures were a little later than the post, should be up now.

When you start the build process post larger pics. 640X480 is a good size for showing detail. I usually post 800X600.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    When you start the build process post larger pics. 640X480 is a good size for showing detail. I usually post 800X600.
    Agree...I really can't see much more than a blue "thing" on that pallet here on my 27" screen. And I really do want to enjoy your build.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I decided to post my Build Thread over on CNC Zone also because Nate has set up a Forum for users. Since more people are likely to go there for information on a Fine Line Automation CNC machine.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-02-2018 at 8:18 AM. Reason: Removed forum link per the TOS

IMG_2994.JPGIMG_2992.JPGIMG_2996.JPGIMG_2997.JPG

I assembled the frame first. It took nearly 100 M6 stainless steel screws and a few hours to put together. It has very nice casters and feet for leveling already attached. To get the machine on the frame took awhile, I used a hoist and got it placed and then the fun began. The bolts are metric equal to 1/2 inch and the holes on the frame are very nearly the same size. It turned out to be an impossible task. I finally gave up, and just dropped some smaller bolts in the holes just to make sure it was indexed and would not slide off. On a frame this large, it needs to be jig welded and not bolted together.
    It would have really helped to have some sort of documentation with the machine.

My next task was figuring out how to put the stepper motors and gear drives together

Locating the gear drives and NEMA 34 motors and then figuring out how to mount. Fine Line Automation sources all the electronics and motors from CNCRouter Parts. I purchased the Plug and Play prewired kit. Same price and its all shipped with the machine. The documentation is online only. Its hard to do online when your computer is 6 to 25 feet away.

I will post some pictures that I hope will help the next person. I am impressed by the heavy duty construction of the entire machine.

The one picture with the pencil showing the nut you need to remove, the other picture is noting the X motor. The tape measure is pointing out the distance above the motor flange for the gear location. The X motor as its the same gear drive as the others, since its mounted flat, I needed to add a very thin SS Washer to prevent the body of the gear drive from rubbing on the frame. The other issue with the Y is the large gear is rubbing on the proximity switch block. It needs to be removed and a notch cut or milled for clearance.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-02-2018 at 1:32 PM.

So today I decided to find the logical place for the control panel. Dictated by the length of the wires for the motors and proximity switches. Yes I purchased the NEMA 34 plug and play package I just want something that would work when I got done. The motors are pre-wired with metal plugs and just ready to plug in, so its plug and play!! Getting the motors and gear drives figured out and mounted was a chore. Some instructions or detail pictures would help. I will add some in my next post. But today was mount the box day and tomorrow will be pulling wires day.
    The pre-wired control box was mounted on the right side and controls facing the operator on the router machine front (side) of the panel. I have built my share of control panels over the past 30-40 years and this one was done very nicely.

Coming along nicely. Going to be a fun machine.

I recommend that you use a real spindle rather than a router if at all possible. My Camaster Stinger uses a 2.5 horsepower Porter Cable router and I regret not spending more money. Routers don't have enough power and they don't maintain torque at low RPMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Yup, I got the prox switches ordered with it, was a little confused as to why they are an extra? Now thinking of using the Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable-Speed Router Hp router, light weight low noise and 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I recommend that you use a real spindle rather than a router if at all possible. My Camaster Stinger uses a 2.5 horsepower Porter Cable router and I regret not spending more money. Routers don't have enough power and they don't maintain torque at low RPMs.
    I already have the Hitachi it was $120 on Sale, a water or air cooled spindle which I have on my other machine for this one with the VFD would run $800 or so. When the Hitachi goes bad I have a 5 year warranty, and its going to help me get started and in addition its not very loud. Most of my work will be at high speed.

Today was run cabling and hook up connections day. All the cables for the motors are pre-terminated. as well as the E-Stop switch and the Proximity switches which seem to be top of the line made in Germany. Even have LED that lights up when the switch is triggered.
    I always start the run at the device and ran the cables back to the box. I marked each end of the cable. Both ends of the motor cables have latches and the switches have threaded connections to hold them tight. Got all done hooked all to power and the motors all locked up and the Proximity switches worked when brought near metal, as they should. No smoke came out and I always consider that a plus on any project. I have a long ways yet to go, but at least the light is on at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-02-2018 at 7:05 PM.

Finished up the kit build I had to make two changes to the right side X Homing Proximity Switch. Mill or cut out the block for clearance and remount the switch lower by drilling another hole in the bracket. In the software profile I downloaded from CNC Router Parts the supplier of the control system I just had to reverse the direction of the X axis. No big deal.

The next surprise.... was no surprises! Everything worked as it should, Homing and the Spindle on / off in this case my Hitachi router motor which turned out to very quiet, even at the highest speed. I did some test for calibration a 6 inch square and 5 inch diameter. The turned out the right size and no egg shaped circle.

I did my test job on some scrap and marked up particle board that was once a shelf for something. As you can see the results in the picture, even the hair on the muzzle of the pup was done. Pencil for size reference. Reminder this is done on a rack and pinion machine with a ball screw only for the Z.

Sure I need to neat up the install a bit, but all my cable supports are drilled and tapped into the frame. The box cables are out of the way and for now just fine.

I say job well done to Nate and crew at Fine Line Automation.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-13-2018 at 1:54 PM.