Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 2 CNC

Saturn 2 CNC

So after the deal to purchase a used CAMaster fell apart, I decided to order the Saturn 2 4x4 Made in USA. But its a Mach 3 contoller which I already know. I aleady own VCarve Pro and a computer to run it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It's a good machine, Bill. What's the expected delivery timeframe?

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Congrats Bill. I followed David's build closely, it looks like a solid machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    It's a good machine, Bill. What's the expected delivery timeframe?

David
    I am trying to figure out if the proximity switches need to be ordered or they come with the machine? I am ordering the NEMA 34 plug and play electronics with it. Zero documentation online about the controls or machine setup. So its still not ordered, yet.

Got it ordered this morning, added on the stand which is partly assembled and with roller casters which I really needed. I guess I will figure out the setup and router later. I did not order a router mount because I really would like a spindle and VFD but not sure yet. Since people are using the CAMaster just fine with the Milwaukee router and for years I might just go that route. I requested it not be shipping until mid-July as I have other things on my agenda right now. I am happy to support a made in USA product and something I can fix myself and know has a good track record.

The prox switches need to be ordered. The CNCRP website has much more info on the setup than you'll find from FLA. Nate can give you a basic XML file, but you'll need to modify it for your machine. The machine setup is pretty straightforward. When I set up ours, I first connected and tested all the motors and did the basic Mach 3 setup before mounting the motors and drives. I got some color-coded wire ties that I attached at each connection point to be able to quickly determine which cable was which going to which motor.

Yup, I got the prox switches ordered with it, was a little confused as to why they are an extra? Now thinking of using the Hitachi M12VC 2-1/4-Horsepower Variable-Speed Router Hp router, light weight low noise and 5 year warranty.

Congratulations Bill! You'll enjoy having that larger machine to do great things with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    The prox switches need to be ordered. The CNCRP website has much more info on the setup than you'll find from FLA. Nate can give you a basic XML file, but you'll need to modify it for your machine. The machine setup is pretty straightforward. When I set up ours, I first connected and tested all the motors and did the basic Mach 3 setup before mounting the motors and drives. I got some color-coded wire ties that I attached at each connection point to be able to quickly determine which cable was which going to which motor.
    Ok now I see FLA is using the CNC Parts control panel and motors and they have all kinds of Info. The Setup file for Mach 3 is somewhere to start and I did Tweak the one on my smaller machine. I am guessing from my Searches online, that in spite of its short comings Mach 3 and 4 is the most widely used control system for routers, mills and CNC plasma than any other. Not counting the commercial CNC equipment of course.

I did pick up the Hitachi M12VC at a local big box store.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-26-2018 at 1:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Yup, I got the prox switches ordered with it, was a little confused as to why they are an extra?
    I think it's because there are so many options available and such a wide range of pricing, so proximity switches are almost a personal preference sort of thing.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

David right now I am thinking of a table like the sign board stuff (paper like on one side) and I can not think of the name. Using the router to cut grooves for the track which I think I found the right ones on Amazon. Maybe that's a waste of time and I should just use screws to hold down. Anyway I have a while to ponder it over. Since I requested the machine not be shipped until the 10th of July.

Bill, do you mean MDO plywood? It's nice stuff, but remember, you're going to want to be able to surface your machine table flat and coplanar with your gantry before you start installing your subsequent spoilboards. Surfacing MDO is going to leave you with bare plywood; albeit water resistant plywood.
    --

Agree with Jim. Plywood is generally not the best option. I'd go with MDF, surfaced with the machine. If you ever want to use it as a vacuum table, just seal it so you minimize vacuum loss.

Sounds like I need to use MDF but I am going to install tracks after surfacing. Thanks guys. Right now in the cleaning out the soggy basement. Rain fall from 10-13 inches in less than 2 hours, then power out so sump pump and back up not working. We were in Michigan so I could not start the generator. Great fun!!

If you go with 1" MDF or two layers of 1/2" MDF glued together, you'll have a better setup for installing tracks. The factory supplied MDF tables from Camaster are 1", by example.
    --