Thread: Metal inserts for set screws to push against

Metal inserts for set screws to push against

I know, it's weird. I'm building a new miter saw station and want to make the platforms on either side of the saw height-adjustable so I can tweak them for level. I plan to put T-nuts under the platform supports with set screws in them accessed through a hole in the top surface. The set screws will push against the plywood sub base though and sink in. Anybody know of a metal insert I could mount into the 1/2" plywood to give the setscrews something to push against?
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

I use flat head screws under the set screws in my router insert plate.

Quote Originally Posted by stan shields View Post
    I know, it's weird. I'm building a new miter saw station and want to make the platforms on either side of the saw height-adjustable so I can tweak them for level. I plan to put T-nuts under the platform supports with set screws in them accessed through a hole in the top surface. The set screws will push against the plywood sub base though and sink in. Anybody know of a metal insert I could mount into the 1/2" plywood to give the setscrews something to push against?
    i just use the knock outs from electrical boxes, metal ones. If you happen by a commercial site where they are doing electrical you should be able to find more than you will ever need. Simple little thing that works great.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    i just use the knock outs from electrical boxes, metal ones. If you happen by a commercial site where they are doing electrical you should be able to find more than you will ever need. Simple little thing that works great.
    Jim
    Great idea, thanks jim
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

roofing nail?
    Bill D.

A penny set into a counterbored hole should do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Pennies fit perfectly in a 3/4" recess made with a Forstner bit. Put a little glue in the recess and then push in the penny.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Roofing nail- quick and easy, no fussing required.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Pennies fit perfectly in a 3/4" recess made with a Forstner bit. Put a little glue in the recess and then push in the penny.
    Thanks Cap! Pennies are a great solution.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Pre-1982 pennies are much stronger than the newer copper plated zinc pennies.
    Steve

Rockler and Lee Valley sells washers for the rare earth magnets. Basically a metal disc with a countersunk hole in the middle for a screw. Gives it a clean look.