Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Legend 32 vectoring problem. Any ideas?

Epilog Legend 32 vectoring problem. Any ideas?

I've got an epilog Legend 32, 30 watt. Until recently, it worked fine. I've been making event plaques with it, no problem. Just now, it started not following my vector lines properly. And repeatably, too. It consistently makes the same errors in the same spots.

I tried cleaning and lubricating the bearing surfaces. I tried placing the workpiece at a different spot on the table. Same problem.

This is how this image is supposed to look:
    20180625_171442.jpg
    And this is what it is doing now:
    20180625_171504.jpg
    20180625_171511.jpg
    Note the E, S, and bottom left corner of the image show the problem most noticeably. Same spots, same error.

The only other thing I would think it might be is dirty encoder strips, but I've never been able to find any on my machine. The Epilog website says it is equipped with them, https://www.epiloglaser.com/laser-ma...-techspecs.htm but the manual makes no mention of them and I can't find any encoder strip to clean anywhere on the machine.

I'm really lost at this point. If anyone has an idea of what could be causing this problem, I'd be eternally grateful to hear it. Thanks in advance

Andrew,

This video may be of help locating encoder strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpL0YEsm__4
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Andrew,

This video may be of help locating encoder strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpL0YEsm__4

Thanks Tony. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have that style of gantry. Here's what I've got.
    20180625_181320.jpg

20180625_181341.jpg

Underneath the cover on the right hand side of the gantry appears to be the motor for the lens assembly to travel back and forth. On the back side of the motor is a black box... might be a rotary encoder? If so, can I safely take it apart and clean it?

20180625_182344.jpg

20180625_182255.jpg

Hm, yeah that looks up as a common encoder. HEDS-5500 A05

Wish I knew more about DC servo motors and encoders. I'm afraid to try taking anything further apart without more input.

within that black box is the encoder, and it'll likely be rotating disk, similar to the one on my GCC.

This encoder is also mated to the servo-
    encoder.jpg

remove the cover--
    be2.jpg

close-up, it was pretty grungy, the raster was all over the place
    be4.jpg

once clean and backlighted, you can tell the disk is just clear acrylic,
    and you can't even see the grooves...
    be6.jpg

Your's should be similar, and should be clean-able...

--just noticed yours is only $46 from Mouser, for that price you might do better just replacing the thing-
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-25-2018 at 9:37 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    within that black box is the encoder, and it'll likely be rotating disk, similar to the one on my GCC.

This encoder is also mated to the servo-
    encoder.jpg

remove the cover--
    be2.jpg

close-up, it was pretty grungy, the raster was all over the place
    be4.jpg

once clean and backlighted, you can tell the disk is just clear acrylic,
    and you can't even see the grooves...
    be6.jpg

Your's should be similar, and should be clean-able...
    Thanks Kev, I'll bet that's the issue. Thanks for posting those pics. I'll take mine apart and take pics for reference.

I'd almost bet money it's an encoder issue, since the problems were happening at the exact same spot each time on the same image/file. There's probably a specific line/lines on the wheel that are obstructed, so when it gets to the same spot in the program, it misreads the lines in the same way and causes the same error.
    Last edited by Andrew Stow; 06-25-2018 at 9:40 PM.

Hm. Any ideas on how to take the cover off? There's a plastic disc in the back with a groove for a screw driver. It only rotates a few degrees, tho.

In original position:

20180625_210206.jpg
    Rotated:

20180625_210223.jpg

No other obvious fasteners or anything.

Take a look at the diagram in this manual. https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/AV02-1046EN
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by David Takes View Post
    Take a look at the diagram in this manual. https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/AV02-1046EN

Ah, yeah I see a set screw now. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    Ah, yeah I see a set screw now. Excellent.
    At least, I thought it was a set screw. If it is, it's smaller than any allen wrench I have.

I think now would be the time for a phone call to Epilog, maybe they have a PDF sheet they could email you on how to do.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I think now would be the time for a phone call to Epilog, maybe they have a PDF sheet they could email you on how to do.
    I emailed them. Their first thought was maybe a loose pulley, then maybe loose belt. Failing those, they suggested replacing the motor. Looks like the PDF datasheet for the encoder has installation instructions.

Maybe I missed something, but since you tried this same file at different locations on your table and got the same fault, could the file be corrupt? Can you try a different file to test the machines abilities?
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marquez View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but since you tried this same file at different locations on your table and got the same fault, could the file be corrupt? Can you try a different file to test the machines abilities?
    Scott
    I suppose something like that is possible but I can't really think of how. The image appears fine in the program. The way I typically do these types of plaques is set up vector lines in RhinoCAD, then fill the portions to be shaded with a solid hatch, set those hatches to the desired color for rastering, and assign which vector lines to be printed or not. I usually vector most of the lines for better contrast. Then I print the file directly in Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    I suppose something like that is possible but I can't really think of how. The image appears fine in the program. The way I typically do these types of plaques is set up vector lines in RhinoCAD, then fill the portions to be shaded with a solid hatch, set those hatches to the desired color for rastering, and assign which vector lines to be printed or not. I usually vector most of the lines for better contrast. Then I print the file directly in Rhino.
    Andrew when your troubleshooting, anything is possible and spent most of my life troubleshooting and repairing. I might add I was paid very well for my skills. The preview tells you nothing. Try another file because Scott has a point.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10