Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Bed Cover -- Too Many Choices!

Truck Bed Cover -- Too Many Choices!

I'm in the process of getting a new pickup truck (GMC Canyon) and I'd like to get a bed (Tonneau) cover.

The choices are almost overwhelming: hard vs soft, roll-up vs tri-fold, low-profile, material choice, fastening method, etc.

So, I figure I'd turn to one of the smartest groups of truck owners that I know, the Creek.

At this point, I'm leaning toward a soft roll-up type, such as the Truxedo Lo Pro Roll-Up Truck Bed Cover #549801, but that's just after a quick Amazon search.

Any first-hand knowledge or second-hand opinions are welcome!

John, I have a hard Leer cover on my Nissan. It also limits people wanting to borrow my truck to move things. I just use my smaller trailer for the stuff that will not fit under the cover. Hope this helps.
    Joe

I have an Extang Revolution roll up cover. Very low profile,which I like and looks great. I would buy again if need be.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I used to own a pick up with a roll up bed cover. I don't currently own a pick up. The roll up cover worked well most of the time except in he winter. I could remove the cover when needed with minimal effort. The velcro used to get water soaked and freeze so that you could not get it open. Roll up covers offer no security, anybody can open them.

I have observed folks with hard covers try to bring home goods that would not allow the cover to close. They always have their hard top at an angle sticking up as they drive down the road like a giant spoiler. Hard covers and sectional covers offer some security as they can be locked.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The Extang I have does not use velcro.

https://www.extang.com/p-36827-revolution.html
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I'm between trucks but I had a hard lid on my last pickup. Very secure and looked nice, but it was always in the way. I have a trailer too, but hated having to fuss around with it every time I *might* buy something big or even to get a half a yard of soil. I thought the lid would be fairly easy to remove when I needed to, but that was more hassle than the trailer. So next truck will have a roll up or fold up.

What do you plan to primarily haul or keep with your truck?

As an alternative I would suggest a shell. I have one on most current truck and I have not found it near as limiting of a hardcover.
    Last edited by Neil Gaskin; 06-25-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks guys -- I knew you folks would know way more than I did!

So, I have ruled out a hard cover. Sounds like the next major decision is velcro / no velcro (Extang).

Since I live in Tennessee, I won't worry too much about it freezing. When we have precipitation below freezing, everyone just stays home!

To remove/install a hard cover, or shell, you need two or three big guys who can work as a team. I suppose you could make a dedicated hoist that live in your garage ceiling. I see shells with lift hooks bolted on the top corners. looks tacky to me. Literally tacky with sealing goop slathered on to try to stop the leaks.
    I have shell on mine most of the time and I have to say without the shell I have much better rear visability
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-25-2018 at 10:57 PM.

Have the extang velcro rollup and love it and would get it again. I have the one that mounts on top of the rails and not between them. Low profile and as far as wanting security of a pickup bed you are dreaming. That is to keep the honest guy out. Any of those hard top covers can be popped open so easily. Roll tops are easily slit open but trying to open with the velcro not easy because they do lock at the gate end as well as cab end. i do not even lock the tailgate. Never leave anything valuable in there. But I do use it alot and have an 8 foot bed.
    John T.

A couple months ago, I bought a new-to-me '07 F150. Shortly after, I bought and installed one of these:

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/shop-...eau-cover.html

I got that particular brand and style because my boss has one on his municipal vehicle, and so I have experience with it myself. I like how it looks and operates. One nice feature are the prop rods to hold the folded cover vertical near the front of the bed if you need to haul something that doesn't fit under the cover. You can get it cheaper than the link above, though--I think I spent about $100 less than that including shipping.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have had A Lund Tri-Fold on my last 2 pickups dating back to 2006. I will buy another one. It's easy to fold or remove for larger loads.

When I inherited my father's pickup (Chevy Colorado), it had a Truxedo on it --- works fine, just one has the nuisance of adjusting the fit as the seasons/average temperatures change (do not skip this)

Based on my experience, I would steer clear of the soft cover tonneaus.

A friend of mine had a fold up type cover the kind that came standard on the old Ford Explorer pickups. Leaked a lot.

If it were me, I'd go with the roll up type. A couple guys I know have the Roll-N-Locks and like them a lot but IIRC leaking was an issue with one of them, too.

I had the Fold-A-Cover on my last truck, and it was a great addition. Folding sections to allow items taller than the bed to be moved, was water resistant for the first few years. I got a new Z71 and have yet to get a cover. There are several folding cover options on the market, which also have more security than a roll up and more convenience than the solid covers.
    You can get really fancy and get one of the powered roll up covers, but that would mean digging deeper into the cookie jar.