Thread: Fluted rim bowl

Fluted rim bowl

I got busy yesterday and built this angel. I wanted to try out a new wing design with pyro for the feathers. I would change a few things if I did another one but this isn't bad. While I was waiting for the pyro pen to cool down between sessions I turned this fluted bowl. I also fluted the foot on this bowl. The wood that was left over from this project became the textured rim bowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you create the flutes? Router with spindle lock?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I just eyeballed them. I used a 1"x3" sanding drum in my Foredom. I cut (if you call it cutting) until I had about 5 to go. Then I just sort of adjusted the width of each one of the last 5 to fit. If I do it again I want to make them slant and will probably use the index wheel to at least mark off the gaps before I start sanding. Might also use my router to cut the depth of each one both for consistency and to speed up the process. didn't really take that long to sand each one to depth using 120 grit paper but I wore out 4 sheets doing it. Not worried about the expense but it's kind of a pain to change the paper on those drums.

That fluted bowl is very nice, something I may try in the future.

The first thing it reminded me of, were the big round ash trays in military hospitals down here in the fifties. They were on every table in the centre, where the men were playing cards and invariably chain smoking.

Mick.

Exactly. I remember those. In fact I have a design for an "Art" piece that starts with that ash tray.

I like the textured rim the best.

I got to see and handle these at the club meeting last night. I especially liked the fluted bowl. The wall is fairly thick and the weight and balance feels perfect in the hand. The inside curves to nearly horizontal under the rim, very nicely done. Another guy and I both liked the small variations in the flutes, obviously done by hand instead of machine. If John didn't have those terrifying attack dogs I'd be tempted to sneak in and, ah, borrow that one.

His demo on the angel ornaments last night was good, especially his different ways to make the wings.

JKJ

I spent many hours learning how to blow up the wing blank and make it funny. did you like that part.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I spent many hours learning how to blow up the wing blank and make it funny. did you like that part.
    That WAS entertaining, excellent! I'll practice that until I can reliably break off and launch a piece in the desired direction.

JKJ

Very cool, I agree that the very slight variation in the flutes would be a plus in this case.
    Where did I put that?