Thread: Pricing Question of Job

Pricing Question of Job

Can someone give me an estimate of what you might charge if someone ask you to engrave 400 mugs or plates? What would be a good price, I know what I like to make but I don't want to scare them off either, I have no idea what to charge for that quantity, they are supplying the items.
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

I don't know much about pricing but I think theres a big difference between Mugs (rotary) and plates (flat).
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

In addition, engrave what? Text, graphics, etc.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Hours of labor multiplied by price you're willing to work for per hour plus cost of consumables.

Rotary engraved stuff will add alot of labor since you won't be able to run items in batches.

Hopefully it's not someone who wants you to engrave birthday mugs for themselves.
    That's a scam that's been going on for the last few months.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Hopefully it's not someone who wants you to engrave birthday mugs for themselves.
    That's a scam that's been going on for the last few months.
    I received another request for birthday stuff last week. Customer wanted plates and mugs for his 50th birthday. Since it was his 50th, I priced them at $50/item with work to be paid for up front in cash. Fortunately I never heard from him again.
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    I received another request for birthday stuff last week. Customer wanted plates and mugs for his 50th birthday. Since it was his 50th, I priced them at $50/item with work to be paid for up front in cash. Fortunately I never heard from him again.
    You Too?

Yeah, key indicator (besides being out of state and large order) WHO Orders stuff for their OWN birthday? I sure don't.
    Beware....... First question after do you engrave was do you take Credit Cards.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

This is EXACTLY what this is, his 50th birthday. I am so glad I have you guys, I don't call on you too often but you've never let me down. Thank you again!

zll
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

Quote Originally Posted by James & Zelma Litzmann View Post
    This is EXACTLY what this is, his 50th birthday. I am so glad I have you guys, I don't call on you too often but you've never let me down. Thank you again!

zll
    HOT DAMN............ I saved the day.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I will play a little with them I tell them it will be $5000 for the first one and $5.00 for each after. I also tell them that I need a perpaid credit card and not just a number to process the order.

I guess you could always say "New customer and big order requires 50% deposit" or something. That would cut down on the scammers.

So what is the benefit to the scammer of this scam? I just got a request as well now to do birthday engraving on beer mugs and plates for a 50th birthday.