Thread: Chairs

Chairs

Started these a looong time ago and finally finished them a couple weeks back. Plenty of mess ups.

The thing about chairs is that every joint is a compound, then there are 6 times everything.

Will get some better pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice chairs, Carl. Did you design them ? I like the shape of the top rails and the way the stiles are pinned through them. With no stretchers I'm curious how you are bracing the stiles. What kind of wood ? I'm guessing walnut and, maybe, beech (?) .. or cherry (?)

Very nice Carl. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice design and execution.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Really nice chairs, Carl. Did you design them ? I like the shape of the top rails and the way the stiles are pinned through them. With no stretchers I'm curious how you are bracing the stiles. What kind of wood ? I'm guessing walnut and, maybe, beech (?) .. or cherry (?)
    Yes, just made the design up. They are hard maple, with laminated walnut for the curved backs. The sides are through tenons to the back stiles, so that makes a pretty integral piece. There are two pins, and glued as well. I chose that as a critical joint that takes tremendous stress.

The front legs are simply tenon joints with a pin from the outside (not a draw pin, although it maybe should be in the ideal world).

We will see if they loosen up as almost all chairs do over time.

I will get some better pictures. Here is a crop of one that shows the through tenons to the back stiles. Fuzzy...

couple more pics

Blog Entries
    Cool splats and the crest rail through-tenon is a cool design feature. Thanks for showing these. A set of dining chairs is in my future.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, you replied to a Grizzly planer setup thread 03-17-2011 and attached pics. I somehow can’t view them...can you repost those threads or email them to me? I’d be grateful! Thanks.