Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apothecary chest - video

Apothecary chest - video

I made a not-so-short video this weekend in response to a request. I should not be so eager to please. It is not recommend viewing late at night, unless you are seeking a cure for your insomnia.

This is the first time I have done anything like this - I bet you can tell

I do hope that you get something from it. There are a number of techniques that I demonstrate that may be new to you.

Feel free to throw popcorn at the screen.

I hope it leads to some discussion.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I can't wait to watch it Derek
    Trying to keep myself awake at the minute, and came in for some podcasts
    Totally subscribing and all that
    Fair play for taking the time to do a video!

I for one am very grateful, and hopefully will be thanking you for a wee tip or two in the comment section
    Cheers
    Tomas

Nice video, thanks for sharing! Blue tape tricks are great.

Derek, I'm tempted to ask you about the other side of the drawer. What's your plan here? Will you make a sort of angled rebate on the front?
    And what about radiused fronts? I can't think of easy way doing that. Some sort of compass plane looks like must-have for that. And I hope that will not affect grain matching!

Regards
    Alex
    Last edited by Alexander Zagubny; 06-25-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Pretty good Derek. I'm no movie critic so won't go there. The info was good and all the steps were there. Not something one does everyday. It is a good thing to have in your skil set.
    Jim

Thank You for posting the video Derek. It was nice to visit your shop with you, and learn some things at the same time.
    Do post another video if you feel, so inclined to do.
    An apothecary cabinet is on my to do list as my wife is into alternative health treatments and has amassed a large amount of bottles for the many different ailments we seem to acquire as we get older. It may not be as elaborate as yours though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Zagubny View Post
    Nice video, thanks for sharing! Blue tape tricks are great.

Derek, I'm tempted to ask you about the other side of the drawer. What's your plan here? Will you make a sort of angled rebate on the front?
    And what about radiused fronts? I can't think of easy way doing that. Some sort of compass plane looks like must-have for that. And I hope that will not affect grain matching!

Regards
    Alex
    Thanks Alex.

I did do a post here a few weeks ago about the other drawer side. The mod in this case is a small rebate. I have yet to put the article up on my website. Look for it here.

EDIT: there are links in a reply to Kees, below.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-26-2018 at 9:03 AM.

Thanks Tom, Jim and Michael for your kind words. Videos are another world. I am not sure I want to go back there. I take my hat off to guys like Brian who do this regularly.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Really enjoyed the video. Particularly liked the real-time continuous format. I think that gives a lot of newbies an idea of how patient, careful work is what produces excellent results like yours. Pieced together videos sometimes tend to mask the amount of time, patience and delicacy involved. While it wouldn't be suitable for every video, it's good to have such examples. I'll look forward to more of your work, real-time or edited.

Thanks,
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Derek,
    I only had time to skim through it a bit; I will watch the whole thing later.
    Immediately I was impressed by the audio, my eyes started wandering around looking for a mic source. Nice and clear! The image quality is very nice; I live for the day when woodworking videos are all 720p or higher res. I also became very jealous of your very nice shop. I look forward to the day you demo your sharpening setup; take the sharpening threads to the next level

Cheers,
    Vince

Now I understand! It wasn't really clear for me without the video. Looks like a smart construction. Is the other, the sharp corner likewise?

Derek I got to thinking about the process and with so many to do and the accuracy you like to work too. It may be worth it to grind a couple of router plane irons to cut the back of the socket. You could than register off the face or back of your drawer and get a very precise cut. I had thought about using a router to do the base of the socket if I In fact was faced with the task that you have ahead. I also think it may help to make a paring block to cut the back so you could lay it flat and clamped to the bench to make those cuts. Of all parts of the process that seems to be the most problematic to me. The rest is pretty straight forward either by hand or with the screaming tailed devil.
    Jim

Thanks for video...Well done.
    Jerry

Derek, the whole process maybe easier for you if it is done in shorter episodes. For anyone who wants to see top quality YT video done entirely by one person who had no knowledge of the process when he started have a look at Clickspring. I just put it up there to show what can be done and not as a comparison to Derek or anyone else. Don't let this be the last one mate, you need to do one on hollow grinding and sharpening.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I was thinking about your comment at the start about wanting to cut back on the time it takes. While watching the video I would say you can’t save time on the actual sawing and chiseling. That looks efficient and quick. It’s all the faffing around that takes the most time. I didn’t count how often you scribed that baseline but a professional would do that once, and that is just one example. In and out of the vice, all that blue tape on and off. A lot of opportunities to save time.

Now, you and I are hobbyists and we are allowed to faff as much as we like, but since you actually want to save a bit of time....

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Now I understand! It wasn't really clear for me without the video. Looks like a smart construction. Is the other, the sharp corner likewise?
    This is the practice for the other side of the drawer. It is a little more complicated! Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...tWeekend9.html

I was thinking about your comment at the start about wanting to cut back on the time it takes. While watching the video I would say you can’t save time on the actual sawing and chiseling. That looks efficient and quick. It’s all the faffing around that takes the most time. I didn’t count how often you scribed that baseline but a professional would do that once, and that is just one example. In and out of the vice, all that blue tape on and off. A lot of opportunities to save time.

Now, you and I are hobbyists and we are allowed to faff as much as we like, but since you actually want to save a bit of time....
    Kees, two issues: the first was the lighting. I had to turn it down otherwise everything was shining for the camera. That meant I could not see! The blue tape came out a couple of times for that, and extra strokes on the gauge were needed to see the lines.

The second issue is that the the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This means that it was not just about dovetailing, but also fitting the drawer front into the recess and matching it with the drawer blades. To do this, one works from the outside inwards. I needed to be precise where - and where not - the pin sockets would be fitted onto a section which was later going to be sawn and rasped to a curve shape (inside and out). More details here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...Weekend10.html

At the end of the day, this is not a piece to be made (or made this way) by a professional! Only a bloody amateur would be that silly!

Regards from Perth

Derek