Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huanyang VFD Goes POP! Any ideas?

Huanyang VFD Goes POP! Any ideas?

Been using for about a year now a 4kw Huanyang VFD to Power a 5hp 3phade planer. No issues until today.

I use my dryer outlet for power. Plug it in, the VFD turns on then I use the Run and Stop buttons on the VFD. Doing this for a year. Sometimes I was using the breaker as an on/off meaning it was off, I’d plug in into dryer outlet, then flip breaker on.

Last few times I didn’t and it worked fine.

Today after plugging it into the dryer outlet I heard a pop, about 1 minute after plugging it in, and all the lights went out on the VFD. I didn’t even turn the planer on. I was adjusting the height and POP! The breaker didn’t trip either.

Any ideas? Would dust inside have caused this? The was a more dust inside when I took the cover off then I feel should be in there. I didn’t notice anything burned though despite seeing a little smoke coming from the vfd.

No wires were loose and ground is Hooked up. Th ground is a piece of hard solid core if that makes a difference.

I was on amazon and looks likes newer ‘Gt’ models are available now. I wouldn’t mind going with a 5hp single phase but that seems tricky matching shaft, plate and pulley size.

I am not the person to be answering this, as I know very little about elektrickery !
    But I have done quite a bit of reading regarding the Huanyang's. and now the Isacon/askpower drives (they share bits and bobs and look near identical, until you look inside.
    I presume you have both grounds incoming to that earth terminal, since your being that specific.

Have you tried doing any continuity tests?
    I have one broken one also..a 2.2KW model damaged from stupidly bogging down my bandsaw for too long....around 3 seconds (after multiple near stalls)
    It heated my motor up a bit too, buts its sound.

I suspect one of the IGBT's is gone...
    If you do fix it, and the problem is still there, another master reset (on the 2.2KW anyway) may be needed.
    To do so, simply plug out the ribbon cable from the board...prob necessary to do a parameter reset and re-enter settings again

Good luck, sorry I cant be of more help

Tomas

The large capacitor in the first photo looks a little suspect to me--looks like it may be leaking out some of its important stuff.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I had the same thought that Jason did.

But...it's almost certainly non-repairable (even if you replaced the cap, something else probably failed at the same time, etc. etc.)

Buy a new one. Unfortunately, just as single-phase motor start/run capacitors and centrifugal switches fail, VFDs have parts that fail. Such is life.

Being I didn't even start the planer and it Popped, any thing I can do to prevent? Could it have been dust? I can build a little enclosure around it next time with holes on the sides for cooling and air flow.

It worked for about a year so my thinking is wiring was fine, maybe a bad VFD or again dust getting where it shouldn't. I'd like to add an on/off switch to the VFD so I don't have to use the breaker as well. Need to read up on that.

I'm going to look into more reputable VFDs and go from there.

Knock on wood I’ve had no issues with Factorymation’s Teco FM50’s. I have 4 in my shop.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I have parts of HVAC filters taped over the top of the heat sink fins, and fans blowing through them that are turned on before the VFD's are powered up. I hit the top of the filters with air in the process of long runs. So far, the one on the big bandsaw, and 10hp compressor have run many hours without even getting warm, and no problems yet. The bandsaw sometimes runs for up to 4 hours at the time.

Think I’m just gonna find a 5hp single phase that bolts up. A reputable vfd is a lot $400, around same price at a new baldor.

I can go with another Huanyang or similar model but risk it failing again.
    A new motor with same shaft size and mounting will bolt up in no time, cost about $450 shipped so far. I’m gonna try for $380 as the price I want to look for.

Good idea of filter paper taped around form dust.

Does anyone know anything about pulley sizes? Orig motormis 3450rpm. 1725rpm are less expenseive but then I’ll have to change a pulley. The pulley hooked to the motor is 5” and one to the cutterhead is 4” with about 12” Of distance. I don’t know if changing to a bigger or smaller pulley onnthe motor will increase rpms to 3450.

In the last photo, one of the transistors (small black things with 4 leads), the one above the blue rectangular thing, looks to be blown up. If it is, you could find someone to replace that, bet it matches the others like it...joe

If you halve the motor rpm the motor pulley must double in diameter. Or reverse for driven pulley. do you have enough room to double the size? you may have to switch both pulleys to make it fit.
    Normally lower rpm motors cost more. Try to get TEFC motors to keep out dust.
    Too small a pulley can also cause problems if there are brackets between the two pullies that the belts have to go around
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-25-2018 at 3:50 PM.

Supposed to help to have a load reactor downstream of the VFD to stop back EMF from frying the VFD. A quality VFD will have a load reactor built in.
    Bill D.

I just checked youtube, and there are all sorts of videos on various repairs. If a part is obviously toasted, that should make it fairly easy. I don't know if Jack works on them or not.

I didn't have time to read all the posts to see if someone mentioned this: I'd check the electrolytic capacitors. Blowing one has been reported in other VFDs.

JKJ

Those vfds are notoriously prone to problems. If you swap the motor, do you also need to change the starter or just the overloads? A 5hp three phase motor uses a size 1 starter but a single phase needs a size 2. It could turn out that changing everything that needs changing costs more than a new vfd of more reputable make. The quality of the original motor is relevant here. I wouldn't swap a Baldor but might consider it if the motor was low end. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 06-25-2018 at 4:24 PM.