Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I ruin my dc filters?

Did I ruin my dc filters?

So I spent today completely dismantling my dc cyclone set up (Pentz version) to find my filter box completely impacted with chips. Tried blowing them out, banging them out, finally out of frustration took the hose to them. Sure enough, after doing some googling, found that they are apparently an 80/20 cellulose/ polyester blend, and deemed "non washable". The specific filter is a Donaldson p191525 if that helps.

are they garbage now, or are they recoverable? Appreciate any thoughts.

I would phone Donadson Torit and ask them rather than take the word of our best guess. If you ever have the same misfortune look for a filter cleaning company near you. I got a bunch from work they were going to toss and took them to a filter cleaner that uses spinning and reverse flow air to bring t hem back to within 2% or better of new. It cost me $40 each and they can be deep cleaned about 4 times. Cheaper than getting new.

I intend to call the place I bought them from in the morning, but was concerned they might be a bit biased....ie, toward selling me two new filters. Didn't know about the cleaning service though, good to know! I've had them in use for over 5 years with no attention, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much if I have to replace them.

I once washed out a DC's filter. It went from "a little clogged" to "completely absolutely clogged". I looked up the spec, and it turned out to be the non-washable variety. It was a complete loss. My guess is that you've done the same.

Called Fabtex this morning, and yep, they're toast...Jamie there was a huge help, walked me through options for material, size, number of pleats...if you need filters in Ontario, give em a call!

Moderators if this violates forum rules please remove.

When I had the filters cleaned there were 2 types, round and oval. I have a dozen of the ovals, 190 sq ft each, made by Donalson Torit, that I don't have plans for. A friend is coming out from Elnor at the end of July for the local woodturning symposium. He might be able to bring some back in his truck. The only catch is the filters filter from outside to inside so to use them you'd need to make a new housing. Basically a cartridge house. If you want any we could work something out.

Thank you peter, but I think I'm all set. I already have a housing for outside/ in flow...ordered two merv 15 filters, 300 sq ft each. Not washable but hopefully this time I'll keep a better eye on things.

I knew it was a long shot but wanted to offer it anyway.

I’ll be making a cartridge house for the other dozen round filters I have. They are 256 sq ft each so a total of 3000. I think that should keep the back pressure to a minimum and since I have them, why not? For a CV-Max by the way.

Hope you don’t forget to check the collection drum more often.

Doesn't help you any, but your post made me think about the last time I emptied my bin. Checked and it was a few inches from full. Thanks.

You may look into a pre-filter.... It won't help with fine dust but it will keep bigger chips out.

John the OP said he has a Pentz type cyclone so wouldn’t that be enough? If not what pre-filter can you link us to for a look?

I was wondering this myself...installing something at the top of the cyclone, where the air leaves to go to the blower...that way it would stop whatever doesn't fall, but should let it fall after the power's off.....I just don't know what material would be suitable without sacrificing too much CFM...would some thing like a window screen work? or even the cheapest of spun fiberglass furnace filters?

Try window screen over one of the duct openings and see if you can detect a change of pitch in the impeller. I think it would be bad for airflow through the machine. Best would be a collection bin overflow of some kind that would sound a horn or flash a strobe.

Blog Entries
    A cyclone is the most efficient method of removing stuff from the air that I know of. When I clean my filter, it's only the finest of dust that has made it that far. I don't see the point of additional pre-filters. Window screen would either stop nothing, or plug up right away, unless you had huge surface area.

To clarify, my cyclone was built around Pentz plans....top cylinder is 22h x 17d, with a 30 inch cone dropping form 17d to 6d over a 30" height...I've been running it for 5 years, and only just recently ran into the chip problem. If it was an inherent design flaw, it would have plugged it up ages ago. I'm thinking, based on what I've dug up, is that there was an air leak in the lower collection bin, ie: i didn't close it up tight after the last time I emptied it, which allowed the larger chips to get sucked up...

While waiting for my new filters, i've installed a sightglass in the filter box so I can see what's going on inside...I plan on doing some checks and tests once I'm up and running again to see how it performs.