Thread: 22 x 25 Workshop in Tennessee

22 x 25 Workshop in Tennessee

I debated whether to post this as the workshop is being built as a garage and it not that exciting. However, because of the land layout the construction is a little more difficult than normal, so it might be of interest to someone that has the same lot challenge.

Like everyone, I wanted a bigger workshop. The cost of preparing to pour the slab added up enough cost that the overall garage cost reached my limit. They are going to put in the minimum to pass electrical and I will wire for the equipment. It will have a 100 amp service.

My primary interest is woodturning and scrollsawing, both of which does not take up a lot of space. I do have a contractor saw, Dewalt planer and a few other portable tools. Everything will fit, but I did want to go bigger. My wife even asked if I wanted a bigger space but as you will see in the photos the land is sloping and there was a higher than normal cost to build a slab.

Grading.jpg

The area that the workshop will be located slopes about 3 1/2 from the front to back. They first graded down to the level for the front. We happened to have a gas line run right along the slab, so the workshop was moved back about 2 feet.

Concrete-Footer.jpg

They dug and poured a continuous concrete footer. It had step downs as it went back. Each section was level to provide a surface for the concrete blocks. When this was poured, the plan (and it worked ) is seven course of blocks in the back and two in the front.

Block-Wall.jpg

Here is the block wall. I asked for a level floor so Half blocks were used at the top. They will fill the area with gravel before pouring concrete.

More updates to come. Hopefully the rain will hold off so they an pour the slab.

When I previewed this post, I noticed a few things. One, there is no plumbing in the workshop. I have a basement bathroom about 20 feet away. The pipe that you can see in one of the photos is a foundation drain that was placed when the house was built. It ended right in the middle of my workshop location, so they extended the drain out the side about 10 feet to the natural drainage for the yard.

The fence is a temporary fence for my dogs.

My lot has a creek running along the back in the woods. Because the back of the lot is in a flood plain, the city required that I had a survey done with an FEMA elevation certificate showing that we are not building in the flood area.We also had to be set in at least 10 feet from the property line. The way we are placing the workshop, it is inside the property line by 20 feet. I have left the surveyors sticks in the ground until the work is done and approved by the city.

That's a pretty setting. Even though it's being built as a garage, I'd try to find a way to add a few windows so you can gather-in natural ligght and enjoy the view. Keep us posted on your progress!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have three windows going in. Two on the side facing the house and backyard and one in the back of the garage.

I agree with Fred...beautiful location! And that will be a fine shop for you when it's completed!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No such thing as a "not that exciting" shop.

What I find so interesting is that I have never seen anywhere in British Columbia and here in Saskatchewan footings poured without using concrete forms. The Aussies and a lot of you guys just dig a trench and pour. Even if digging below the frost line we still don't pour on the hardpan without forms. Not sure if it is just convention here or the cost of concrete is low where you are.

Looking forward to see the progress.

Here is the footer trench. I was surprised how it was done. The bucket that dug was 2 foot wide. They filled the trench using way more concrete than if they built a form or dug a narrower trench.
    Footer-Trench.jpg

There is nothing more exciting than building a shop! Don't forget to post more photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bashore View Post
    The area that the workshop will be located slopes about 3 1/2 from the front to back.
    That sounds the site where I built my shop! I have a bobcat and tractor and did it all myself but one corner was about 4' lower than the far corner (24x62 slab). It is generally not recommended to build on fill but since I was doing everything myself I could do it right with proper compacting and support (at one time I did soil and concrete inspection for construction.)

I hope to put add a bathroom to mine someday since it is 250' down the hill from the house. You are fortunate yours is close! However, I do have a nice tree just outside.

rest_room_IMG_20161014_0957.jpg

JKJ

That is a lot of concrete. Upside is you will be able to hang a lot on your walls and they won’t go down. Over maybe but not down.

Yea, it's a bit of concrete, but for a small structure like this, the cost of simply trenching and pouring may have been better than the cost of excavation, erecting forms, pouring and removing the forms. IE...labor. This method is simple and fast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...