Thread: CNC for Honeybee NUC Boxes

CNC for Honeybee NUC Boxes

Professor Dr. SWMBO, who's hobby is beekeeping, asked me to make a few more NUC boxes and migratory covers. "NUC" stands for "Nuclear Colony" and they are basically smaller boxes that only fit five of the comb frames. They are used to start new colonies and provide resources, such as brood or replacement queens, for other colonies. It's been a busy year for NUCs and we've been running "too close" in number of available boxes.

So I picked up a sheet of Advantech this morning after dropping my older daughter off at work. It was actually pretty flat...important since I decided to do the cutting on my CNC machine just for grins. After creating the design and toolpaths, I headed out to the shop, put the material on the machine and let it cut out the parts for three boxes and two migratory covers which I could easily fit on a half sheet. The cut time was just over 16 minutes start to finish and the end result was great. I used a Whiteside 1/2" compression cutter I recently purchased in the SMC classified for a very attractive price. The end result provided absolutely true joinery (rabbit method) and easy to glue up and screw together. I'd use this material again for the same purpose, no question. And it was fun watching the Stinger do it's thing for "the boss's" benefit.

Here are a few photos...

Rendering:

IMG_1330.jpg

I used screws to fasten the material down...did some calculation in VCarvePro for safe spots and added some as component outlines were developed as the tabs were brittle.
    IMG_1328.jpg

A little messy cutting, but that was also because the bit was a bit {SIC} longer than my dust hood was adjusted for...
    IMG_1331.jpg

Parts cut...
    IMG_1332.jpg

The "customer" checking out the parts...she actually stayed and watched the whole operation...asked some good questions, too.
    IMG_1333.jpg

Darn, these things fit together nice!
    IMG_1334.jpg

And here are the three boxes and two covers ready for paint
    IMG_1335.jpg

So, yea...not exactly "fine woodworking", but it was nice to use a different method than I did the last time I built these smaller boxes! It also provided an opportunity to think through how to best get the rabbits on the tops and sides of the end-pieces using pocketing beyond the part boundary. The major lesson learned...be sure to carefully calculate the separation of parts so that the tabs and material between parts is sufficient to support them. If this was solid wood or plywood, I think things would have stayed together better. But the Advantech is a lot more brittle and that meant scurrying around putting in screws to insure nothing broke away from cutting force.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good project, Jim. And any project that gets the boss's approval is a good project!

One thing I've been doing on larger items like this is to place strategically located screw holes in a separate toolpath and have the CNC poke some 0.150" holes with a 1/8" bit where there's no danger of screws being hit by the real toolpath. That way there's no guessing. I just use some clamps to hold the piece from the perimeter and it only takes a couple of minutes to poke a dozen holes in a large piece, then run screws into the spoilboard, and finally remove the clamps from the perimeter. Now nothing is in the way and everything is secure.

David

PS - if that's what you meant by 'did come calculations in V Carve Pro' then kindly disregard this tip
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

And Jim, I am guessing you said "gee honey if I didn't have this new machine I could not have done it so..fast!"
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    One thing I've been doing on larger items like this is to place strategically located screw holes in a separate toolpath and have the CNC poke some 0.150" holes with a 1/8" bit where there's no danger of screws being hit by the real toolpath.
    I just took measurements and screwed it down, but did think of the drilling thing after the fact. Thanks for the reminder which I'll use next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    And Jim, I am guessing you said "gee honey if I didn't have this new machine I could not have done it so..fast!"
    Well...she is the CEO and majority shareholder of the corporation, so....
    --

Jim...
    Based on this:

You may need to change the thread name to "the Honeybee Honeydo project"
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Jim...
    Based on this:

You may need to change the thread name to "the Honeybee Honeydo project"
    ROFLOL!!! You're spot on with that. She was impressed and engaged...it's not normal for her to spend time in the shop watching tools whir and make noise. And she's also been very supportive of the idea to try and make something of this since I retired from full time work last fall.
    --

I like that you're mixing up your projects on the CNC...it's the only way I've found to get a good feel for what it can do and give you even more ideas.

On the way back from Aspire Camp, I found this honey bar in Asheville...

IMG_2364.jpg

How kewel is that? A honey bar!

Yea, I'm trying to mix things up a lot, James, not only to learn and "think and design quick", but also to really test the possibilities. Since cutting up sheet goods isn't my favorite thing, partially because of the weight, this was a "lift once" operation not including unloading the two pieces from my vehicle. I already had the lumber yard cut the sheet in half so I didn't need to use my trailer to get it. And, as noted...doing "special work" for the company CEO is a good thing sometimes, especially with the amount of money that's been flowing out lately. LOL
    --