Thread: PM3520B Remote On/Off Switch.

PM3520B Remote On/Off Switch.

We are trying to install a remote control switch on a PM3520B. Our switch set up does not look like the wiring diagram. The wires are not the same color and the switch is different.

Anyone run into this and have an answer?
    This is the switch. The blue and with wires have been disconnected. The wiring diagram is out of the manual that came with the lathe.
    Cpeter
    20180624_163258-1.jpg
    20180624_163409-1.jpg

Did you remove those wires or were they like that when you got the lathe? It looks like they both connected together on one side of the on off switch. I'm not too familiar with the lathe but if you can get a better picture of the back of the panel I'm sure we can help you out. I'm assuming that the switch in the picture is the on off switch and behind it is the reversing switch. I can't see the potentiometer but does the white wire that's disconnected go to it? It looks like the blue and white wires were on one side of the on off switch and the other side is a yellow wire going to the forward reverse switch. If so it looks like the blue wire, the white wire, and one of the two wires going to the remote switch all get tied together but not connected to the on off switch. The second wire from your remote switch would then go to the side of the on off switch that the blue and white wires went to. If nobody else can help you I'm sure that if you can take a picture of the wires going to the on off switch, reverse switch, and potentiometer I'm sure I can help you out more.

The owner of the lathe removed the wires. They were connected, but to what I am not sure. The lathe is 40 miles away from my shop. We were working over the phone trying to determine how the connections were made and he pulled the wires off. I hope to not to have to make a "house call".
    CPeter

There are several ways to add a remote switch but they require removing one or the other of the wires on the main switch and wiring in the secondary switch. Basically it's a SPST switch wired in series with the switch on the panel. If the switch on the panel is turned on the remote switch will turn the lathe on and off. If the panel switch is off, the remote switch will do nothing. If the remote switch is turned off, the panel switch will do nothing.

BTW, the first thing I do when tackling something electrical is carefully trace the wires and components and make a wiring diagram. Then it is usually easy to see what is going on and how to modify it. Perhaps do that first. But maybe you don't need to if you look at the these articles:

Read Doc Green's articles on PM Electrical on this page: http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html
    All of the control circuitry (speed, on/off, direction) are done with low voltage. Doc has good photos and diagrams. If someone has modified the control wiring in your lathe it should quickly be obvious where the wires should be attached.
    I don't know whether his diagrams and wire colors will match yours exactly but it doesn't matter. (You may have a different model, I think he illustrates the A model) I have the B model and I think my wire colors were different but the function was identical.
    Then take a look at Doc's article on to install a remote switch, the first part first: http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/remswitch.html
    His instructions are so good you might not even need any previous electrical experience.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    We are trying to install a remote control switch on a PM3520B. Our switch set up does not look like the wiring diagram. The wires are not the same color and the switch is different.

Anyone run into this and have an answer?
    This is the switch. The blue and with wires have been disconnected. The wiring diagram is out of the manual that came with the lathe.
    Cpeter

The remote switch is inline with the black line. Simply trace that line and see how it goes to the switch. It's hard to tell from the colors of the wires but looks like maybe they used blue going to the switch and white going back out of the switch.

Think the instructions may be on the Mustard Monster site but instead of the remote only having on off I modified mine so the on/off and speed control is placed in a small electrical box tethered with a trailer type cable to the headstock. I put a magnet on the back of it and can move it wherever I want it.

Mike