Thread: Aigner Extensions - How do they adjust?

Aigner Extensions - How do they adjust?

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking at getting some Aigner extension tables for my new MiniMax FS30c Jointer Planer.

Before I order anything, I want to make sure I fully understand how they mount to the J/P. I assume you have to drill the cast iron and get the hole locations pretty precise.

For the Jointer, I would use the folding extension table. Is there any adjustment at the universal mounting rail to match the height of the bed? (I understand the other end has an adjustable leg so that you can level it.)

Also, is there any way to use an extension table on the infeed side without impeding the fence?

For the planer, I would use the 250mm universal support (fixed extension) with a cantilevered mount. Is there any adjustment to level them and get them perfectly aligned with the planer bed?

Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries
    I drilled slightly oversized holes to provide room for adjustment. In theory one could install them dead on but I believe you would need to make a very accurate guide to do so with any sort of reliability. Any misalignment in your setup and you'll find yourself drilling oversized holes anyways.

The real trouble of installing the brackets that I've encountered is that the inside of the table is on an angle due to the nature of iron castings, to counter this I have used misalignment washers would allow the nut to sit against a face perpendicular to the bolt.

I use them on infeed and outfeed....combined with the cat door for extra long stock

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 06-24-2018 at 2:47 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Joe, I have the extension tables for my Hammer A3 J/P.

They use the same rail that the jointer fence goes on, I have both the 16" and 32" table, the 32" has the adjustable foot.

You can buy wedge shaped washers used on "I" beams, I don't know if they have the same bevel as your table, you could always measure the angle.

The Hammer mounting rail is bolted to the table, and is adjusted to be a certain height below the table, the table height at the free end is adjusted via a threaded adjuster, once set the table clips on and off without adjustment.

If you want some photographs I could take some for you............Rod.

Brian - Thanks for the photos. They help. If I'm understanding this right, there is no adjustment on the attachment end and my best bet is to be very precise in laying out the holes and drill them oversize so I have a little bit of adjustment. I had no idea about needing the special washers but that makes sense. I love the cat door for your outfeed. Many thanks!

Rod - It sounds like the Hammer extensions work slightly differently than the Aigner. No need for photos as I'm really sold on the Aigner rails but thanks for the offer. Thanks for the tip on finding wedge shaped washers. I appreciate your help.

QUESTION - Has anyone else used extension tables (fixed or detachable) for the planer portion of one of these J/P combo machines? I'd like to hear from you even if it's a Hammer, Felder, Grizzly or Jet. I'm sure whatever solution you're come up with would be helpful to me and other Creekers with these machines.
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 06-25-2018 at 9:33 AM.

I have a Felder ad 941. I have both the Aigner extension tables and also Felder.

If your question is the outfeed table of my planer then in that case my outfeed table is from Felder. It is a extruded Aluminum piece and very very substantial. It has bolts mounted to the underside that allow one to adjust it toe up, toe down and for coplaner left to right or side to side. I suppose I could rig it up with a Aigner bracket if my machine did not have a built in p-channel.

I also have the extension tables on my shaper and my bandsaw.

I’ll get pictures in a bit.

Generally I prefer the Aigner tables to the Felder except for in the case of the planer outfeed.

Hello Joe, I have an extension table on the outfeed of my J/P, it's there so that when I'm planing short pieces they don't fall on the floor before I grab them

The table I have is the one from Hammer, I have 3 of the 16" extension tables, one is always on the planer outfeed, one is always on the saw/shaper outfeed and the other is spare. I also have one of the 32" tables with an adjustable leg...........regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I have a Felder ad 941. I have both the Aigner extension tables and also Felder.

If your question is the outfeed table of my planer then in that case my outfeed table is from Felder. It is a extruded Aluminum piece and very very substantial. It has bolts mounted to the underside that allow one to adjust it toe up, toe down and for coplaner left to right or side to side. I suppose I could rig it up with a Aigner bracket if my machine did not have a built in p-channel.

I also have the extension tables on my shaper and my bandsaw.

I’ll get pictures in a bit.

Generally I prefer the Aigner tables to the Felder except for in the case of the planer outfeed.
    I'd love to see pictures. I'm sure they would help me and others in the future who find this thread.

I did a lot of research here and on Google before starting it and could not find much of anything that answered my questions.

That Felder extension sounds like it has a lot more adjustment than the cantilevered Aigner extension.

This appears to be an older thread but would like to get some feedback on the Aigner extension tables. I'm looking to purchase an Felder AD941 .. Can the Aigner rails be used to allow for the Aigner extension tables? Does the screws/holes align? Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Chris, to answer your question.... you need the Aigner rails to mount the Aigner extension tables. Well, you could fabricate your own rails fairy easily, but if your spending on the extension tables the rails are pretty reasonable. Not sure what your asking about the screws/holes aligning?

FWIW, the mounting rails don't have to be all that accurate when mounting at all. When you attach the table its a simple clamp on system that allows plenty of adjustment. When I attach a table I just grab a block of scrap and place it on the table of machine, then hold there fence to the bottom of it and tighten. Simple as can be.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Perren View Post
    This appears to be an older thread but would like to get some feedback on the Aigner extension tables. I'm looking to purchase an Felder AD941 .. Can the Aigner rails be used to allow for the Aigner extension tables? Does the screws/holes align? Thanks for any feedback.
    Chris I've attached a link to Felder E shop US. These are the equivalent of the Aigner rails and come complete with mounting hardware. The hardware simplifies the install andcan be added to a new machine purchase. My older AD951 came with the mounting holes drilled and I use the Aigner tables for both infeed and outfeed. I also used them on my AD741 the predecessor to the AD941 but had to use a modified Aigner round tube adapter on the infeed because of the fence setup. I don't know what the current AD941 configuration provides for a fence but would be worth checking. My FB600 bandsaw and F700Z shaper all have F rails and share the same Aigner tables.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...-coupling.html
    Last edited by John Kee; 03-30-2019 at 8:05 AM.

Thanks for the information ...