Thread: Laptop vs Desktop

Laptop vs Desktop

I am in the process of building a 3x6 foot cnc router. I am trying to decide what type of computer I want to use with it. I will probably get a dell, but I still don't know whether I want a desktop or a laptop. The desktop would be probably be better for doing the design work with the larger screen but I could connect to the internet through wifi in the shop with a laptop, because we have a very good high speed wifi network at home. My shop is to far away though to connect to internet with an ethernet cable for a desktop. My uncle runs the cnc machine in my grandparents lawn furniture shop with a laptop, but it is a 30x50 cnc shark and only used for making engravings with vcarve.

Eric...
    in most cases laptops are less suited for CNC work due to all the built in power saving "features". You can always add a USB/wifi adapter to any desktop when internet access is required (which I keep at a minimum). What you want is a good reliable motherboard. A business type ( a few more $) rather than a gaming type, Windows 10 Pro (so you can control the settings) with a good LAN adapter so that you have good communication with your controller. Avoid the legacy USB connections to CNC controllers, they have been proven to be sub par over the last decade.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I have used laptops for years doing CNC But I know computers and have worked with them forever. I disable everything, screen savers, power management and even the USB sleep modes. I use my laptops as Control computers not general purpose machines and they are Not allowed on the internet and never Windows 10, ever. Use what you want to design and then transfer to the machine control laptop or desktop as you see fit. Yes as Gary said, no USB, (or parallel ) better if you can use Ethernet, yes the cable can be direct from your Control computer to the machine. I use USB only for my lasers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill...
    See how "times they are a changin"? Todays commercial (vs hobby, less$) controllers are made to run well, and ONLY on Win10. Windows updates are fine, but they will reverse some of the CNC specific settings back to Micro$oft preferences. The majority of these controllers do not use the pc to generate step pulses like the legacy hobby controllers, they have a dedicated controller. The PC simply provides a GUI for the user
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I think desktops are better and as for the wifi you can get a wifi adapter for under $10 I put one in my desktop just so I wouldn't have to run any cat 5. I picked up a refurbished desktop just to run the cnc. It was around $100 from Micro Center. You really don't need a high end unit. The Beisse that I run is running Windows 95
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 06-24-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Bill, any particular brands or models of laptops you've found to be better as a dedicated machine for cnc? I'm running Mach3, currently on an old desktop but would prefer a laptop. I'll be using an Ethernet Smoothstepper, so no need for usb or parallel ports.

I'm of the mind that a "desktop" computer is well suited to be the "controller" machine for a CNC. They can be pretty economical and even pretty small. Since that machine is supposed to be primarily dedicated to the tool and the tool isn't mobile, there's little advantage to using a laptop for this function. In fact, you can tuck a "desktop" machine away easily and use a wireless keyboard and rodent for more convenience as well as choose the screen size that's best for running the CNC machine. I'm even considering moving to a small touch screen on a movable arm, putting the CPU under my CNC router and eliminating a lot of the space currently reserved for the computer setup, despite it being mobile as it is. (Since my CNC machine uses WinCNC, a laptop isn't an option for control anyway)

I prefer to design in my office in the house on a much larger screen. Yes, I do tweak things in the shop on the CNC controller computer, but it's not the most comfortable thing to do serious design work on. Unlike some, I'm comfortable having things on the network and I transfer files directly using DropBox or OneDrive so I don't have multiple copies floating back and forth.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Bill, any particular brands or models of laptops you've found to be better as a dedicated machine for cnc? I'm running Mach3, currently on an old desktop but would prefer a laptop. I'll be using an Ethernet Smoothstepper, so no need for usb or parallel ports.
    On mine I have the Ethernet controller to Mach 3 controller listed in my signature a UC400ETH and its running on a old XP Pro Lenovo laptop and like I noted before, I disable everything and no Internet connection only to validate an install. My downstairs tower, and other two computers are on Windows 7, both my other laptops are Lenovo both maxed out on memory. I purchase pre-owned Lenovos that come off lease.

What Gary was referring to above new control systems requiring Windows 10 to run, this is what I found a few weeks ago out most of the newer controllers such as WinCNC still have controllers which require a desktop, that will run on Windows 7 and the like > http://www.wincnc.net/wincnc_sysreqs.php
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-24-2018 at 1:48 PM.

I have an 8 year old HP desktop running Win 7 out in the shop for Mach4 and it is connected via Wi-Fi card to our home network. That's so I can, like Jim, use Dropbox to transfer files and only have one copy. It's also on the Internet so I can get updates for Mach4. The computer in the house is a Win 10 Pro on steroids and that's where I do my design work in Fusion 360 and play on all the forums. But the desktop out in the shop is only on for the CNC and that's its sole purpose.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

If I had a big router, wouldn't give a laptop a thought , but my little Techno Davinci has a footprint of roughly 24" x 24". A tower, screen, keyboard and mouse takes up more room than that. Plus I want to take it along when I teach banjo making classes, so much easier with a laptop.

I do all my design work.... in the house on either my laptop or tower computer and then transfer to the old XP Pro laptop just to run the machine. We have at least 3 computers for every person in the household!!

I have not taxed my system with intense projects as many of you have, (I have only had my Buddy 32 for a half a year and still learning), I have had no computer or com issues. I purchased a Shopbot and needed to buy a computer for it. Having some experience as a part time IT guy in the engineering room, I knew the importance of avoiding the sharing of the CPU's resources. I went the dedicated route and bought the Intel NUC, a small (4.5 x 2 x 4.4 inches) but powerful box with Win 10 Pro and many other features as shown below. I added a bluetooth mouse and mini keyboard. I think the best part of the NUC for this application is the pre-installed "no overhead" installation of the OS on a brand new system. No other programs, (only SB3 and Vcarve 9) no manufacturers advertising ****, no preinstalled demo software, no screen savers, you just have to disable the power saving features. It wasn't financially easy to dedicate a $700 computer but I am glad I did. It is also available as an I3 or I7 but I went with middle of the road.......Mike

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAA0S6MT1095

Intel NUC NUC7i5BNH Mini PC/HTPC
    CPU Type: Intel Core i5 7th Gen Intel i5-7260U 3.4GHz
    CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Memory Capacity: 8 GB DDR4
    Hard Drive: SSD 256 GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB
    GPU/VGA Type: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    Windows 10 Pro
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    HDMI
    Thunderbolt 3
    4k Support
    Dual Monitor Capable
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
    Room for additional Hard Drive
    Dimensions: 4.5 x 2 x 4.4 inches

$669.00

Michael, those little "brick" computers are really great for this kind of thing if they are compatible with the controller software solution required for the CNC machine. Gary had a machine at Aspire Camp that was using a small unit like that. If a future version of WinCNC removed the requirement for a PCI slot, I'd totally go that route!
    --

Michael hits the nail on the head. If you spend a few bucks you will get a pretty good control computer. What has always eluded me is the logic behind a user buying a $10-20K CNC machine and not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars (or a few hundred more) on a dedicated control computer.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Relative to my previous comment, I'm told that the WinCNC folks are looking at a "more modern" (my words) interface for a future version which bodes well for using tinier computers that don't have PCI slots.
    --