Thread: Jet 22-44 worth upgrade over Supermax 19-38?

Jet 22-44 worth upgrade over Supermax 19-38?

I bought a Supermax 19-38 with outfeed tables and bunch of bulk paper about 4 months ago. Love it! Don’t use it much yet but flattening endgrain is a breeze.

Locally a jet 22-44 is available for $1,500. The closed cabinet kind. It’s the same 1 3/4 hp as my Supermax. I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle to sell mine and get the Jet for hopefully no more out of pocket.

I’m not currently needing 44” material sander, just like the idea of possibly upgrading. I was surprised it’s only a 1 3/4 hp. I guess the pro models have a 3hp.

I went from a Grizzly 18/36 to a Supermax 25/50. I like the extra width. How do you expect to get $1500 out of a used Supermax when you can get one new for $1400? I'm not sure the 3" is worth the loss of money and hassle.

I have only used a SM 19-38, purchased about the same time as you so I can't compare the SM to the Jet. It is hard for me to imagine that the Jet is up to the same standards as the SM given how robust the 19-38 is. I opted for the 19-38 over the new 16-32 as soon as I compared the weight of the two machines. If you really had a need for the extra width, maybe it would make sense for you but otherwise I would stand pat.

BTW- anyone can get 10% off the 19-38 (or any other first time purchase) at Acme Tools simply by creating a new account which translates to $1259.

If you were to upgrade, I'd go for the 25/50 and be done with it. I wouldn't go from a 19/38 to a 22/44. But no matter how wide you go, you'll always wind up with a panel a bit wider

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a 22-44, from when it was branded Performax, and the conveyor can be quite fussy. I don't think I'd recommend it just for the little extra width over what you currently have.
    Chuck Taylor

Not so on the discount, just confirmed with Acme Tool.

Just got my 19-38 from ACME this week and I’m impressed with it. Put it together Tuesday night and need to finish this weekend with the initial alignment. Can’t wait to use it though. Only thing I would have considered over this would have been the supermax 25-50 or maybe the powermatic.