Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone piped in outside air to use for the exhaust inlet?

Has anyone piped in outside air to use for the exhaust inlet?

Pretty much the title. I run my laser in an air conditioned area, and though it's only hobby use of a few hours per week I really hate the idea that I'm pumping out all of my air conditioned air when I have my exhaust going.

Has anyone ever ran a second line in from outdoors to provide the "inlet" air to their laser, so they're cycling outdoor air through their machine? It seems like the tube itself would be fine since it's being temperature regulated by the chiller. Of course if it was SUPER cold outside I'd run the risk of freezing things, but other than that... any downsides?

On my laser, there are so many ways air can enter the machine through gaps around many of the doors on the machine. Additionally, to get good crossflow across the work surface you want air coming in through the front vents on the door/lid of the machine. I have a seen people build systems that direct flow via tubes and snorkles/scoops that attach to the front of the machine's lid but they are a bit awkward in terms of space needed and use. If you have your laser in a room that can be closed off/isolated AND has a window, cracking the window open while shutting the HVAC vents off is a viable option if the weather isn't too extreme but you need to make sure you are not sucking just-vented exhaust. I mention this because many of us have inserts that fit into our windows that mount the exhaust outlet right out the other side.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 06-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

If you are exhausting air outdoors then you are already, by necessity, bringing in new air from outside. If that wasn't happening you would implode the room you were working in.

Might as well bring that new air into the room right next to the laser so that as much as possible gets exhausted back outdoors through the machine. I don't think it would be worth the trouble to make all of the outside air go through the laser, but you should be able to direct the make-up air so that a large percentage of it gets pulled through the machine, and that might be worth the trouble.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

As the others mentioned, my concern would be that it's important to pull a vacuum on the laser with the exhaust motor (suction); so that you are removing as much of the smoke and fumes as possible from the machine as it runs. Improperly placed air inlets could completely negate that effect; and even properly placed inlets might have undesired effects.

In addition, I don't know what climate you live in, but here it's very hot and humid this time of year. I would not want massive amounts of hot/humid air coming directly into my machine unchecked. In fact I want the opposite: air with little humidity and with a very minimal difference in air temperature to avoid buildup of moisture in the machine or on the work.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Keith, it's hot/humid where I am too. Fortunately for me I do mostly vector cutting so my workpieces shouldn't care anything about heat or humidity.

Hopefully I can do some fancy ducting with my new shop. Right now I'm going through a wall so I know I'm not getting any exhaust pulled back in anywhere, but I wouldn't be able to put in any other pipes.

I am imagining the hood of the laser having its own duct attached. My laser has a homemade frame, and I'm thinking about adding an inlet to the v2 design so I can decide where my makeup air comes from. It would certainly put more strain on my blower though, so I may end up needing to add more power.

Best way I can think of is what Doug suggested, put the laser in its own room with positive in and out ventilation...

However, the 'hot & humid' thing you speak of will become your X factor, because your chiller will have to work harder to keep the water cool...

The air replacing your blower's output will likely take less extra energy for your AC to cool than the chiller will use to keep the now-warmer water cool.

Net benefit: IMO, somewhere between not worth the trouble and less than zero
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Years ago the builder I worked for used to make a fresh air plenum for the furnace so it wouln't draw heated air from the house. worked very well as the furnace was in its own closet.

Blog Entries
    There is a guy I think on the RDworks facebook that did just what you are talking about. Ran a second duct from window to the side of the laser. I will probably do the same before the winter. My machine has a door on the side that would work well. And I could get a side draft going. It wouldn't be nearly 100%, but I think I could close off more gaps and get 60 to 75% reduction in heat loss. And it makes a difference in my basement as I have limited heat.

Secondarily, if I'm using my Wood burning fireplace, I get a backdraft if I'm running several hours at a time unless I open a window.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ... because your chiller will have to work harder to keep the water cool...

The air replacing your blower's output will likely take less extra energy for your AC to cool than the chiller will use to keep the now-warmer water cool.
    The chiller would still be operating in the air conditioned room, the warmer make-up air would be moving through the laser, not the chiller. Net effect - room stays cooler, chiller works no harder at cooling the tube. In winter time the extra work required for the chiller to cool the tube results in more heat put into the room, so it is still a win.
    Gerber Sabre 408

I thought of this exact thing. It's a 110°F outside and I am pumping all that nice 70°F air out and bringing hot air in. I wasn't sure how I would plumb it in. I'm not quite ready to put an 8 in inlet in the side of my laser. Lol

Blog Entries
    I don't worry about it in the summer, but like I mentioned as secondary affect is that you are creating a room (building) with a negative pressure as compared to outside. Air is trying to come in to equalize. It comes back in through my chimney. Not a good thing. It is slow enough when laser is off not to cause issue, but at 300-400 cfms exhausting, I can really pull smoke back in. UNLESS I open window. And that is cold air.

And your equations are faulty. Heat generated by laser that is removed from the tube by the chiller is NOT equal to the heat removed by exhausting warm air (or cold air in the summer) to the outside. Sorry, Apples and ORANGES.

WAY more BTUs are going out. 80 watt laser should be dumping about 272 BTUs per hour, just say it is 10 times that or 2700 BTUs per hour. If I'm bringing in 32 degree F air and wanting 72, that is 40 degree difference, and 300 cfm exhaust dumps roughly 324 BTU per hour per degree out the door. 324*40 = 12000 BTUs going out. (yes, last calculation is not entirely accurate, BTU to CFM is estimate. No direct conversion. But 12000 vs 2700 is a big difference, say even half that.... and I already said heat by laser x 10. Well worth controlling in my opinion.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

In the commercial HVAC world its called Make Up Air. Restaurants with high volume exhaust fans like over the grill and oven area dump the MUA right near the fan intakes within a few feet anyway. That way usually not much conditioned air gets removed from the area. Some restaurants try to use AC for the comfort of the kitchen workers.... pretty expensive.
    Usually its 20% added to the Btu's handled by the compressor, and that 20% is the heat of compression. Even air moved thru a fan has some heat added from compression.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-26-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My above post was assuming just using outside air vented into a dedicated room with the laser... for those who've never used a simple 3000 air-to-water chiller, you would be very surprised at how fast an 80w tube will raise the water temp 5°c, and warmer ambient air temps just add to the temp rise, which will make a refer chiller work harder. How much harder? Hell, I don't know, how efficient are refer chillers actually?

But that's all moot if you're only adding air to the laser cabinet. So then, to move outside air ONLY into the cabinet is going to require fabrication of a plenum to effectively enclose the machine's air intake AND transitions into a inlet to connect your duct work. Assuming doing this to my machines, my LS900 the plenum would take up the entire bottom of the lower door (IF it was still on ), for my GCC it would cover most of the 10" x 36" front door, and for my Triumph it would be the 1-1/2" x 52" pass-thru slot on the back of the machine. Any such plenum would just be in my way...

And when a laser is removing inside air, the air replacing it comes from outside at whatever its temp is. Doesn't matter from where...

And I don't need BTU figures to assume cost savings. Since I made the garage a workshop, it was easy to track how much extra it cost me to heat the garage: About $30 per month. A whole $1 per day. And this is a poorly insulated garage at best. Haven't tracked my cooling bills because I changed out my AC unit shortly after the garage became a shop, but I do know my cooling unit's power usage: The portable cooler is 10.8 amps during refer use, deduct for cycling lets say 1kw per hour, and it's on maybe 12 hours a day. My swamp cooler adds 300watts. So 1.3kw x 12 hours x 8c per kw comes to: about $1.28 per day. This includes the fact that I work over 15 hours a day 7 days a week, there's 2 blowers in the garage running probably 12 hours each per day, plus the other 2 blowers for the basement machines that also run several hours a day (the house and garage share the same air space)--bear in mind these aren't the cost differences between running blowers and not running blowers, this is the complete total cost to heat or cool the garage space! The extra cost associated with running the blowers is only a small portion of the total...

Therefore- given that any of my lasers (as should everyone's ) generates over $1 per minute in revenue when it's running, this means that the first laser that I fire up each day will pay for the total cost of heating or cooling the garage within the first minute it runs. To pay for the extra cost of re-heating or re-cooling blower air probably takes 5 seconds...

Not much incentive to double up the vent plumbing. And if nothing else, this place is ventilating well! I'm definitely not breathing stagnate indoor air!

Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-27-2018 at 1:37 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My thought is that the higher temp/humidity on the internals of the cabinet (e.g., gantry, optics, electronics, tube, material) might be a penalty against any HVAC efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My above post was assuming just using outside air vented into a dedicated room with the laser...
    Outside air will find a way into the room wether or not you have a dedicated vent for it. Wether you bring in the outside air through one opening or it comes through hundreds of cracks - the effect is the same - the volume of air coming in is the same, it just gets mixed with the room air before it reaches the laser. The cost of cooling or warming that air will be the same regardless of how it is brought into the room. However, if you can redirect some or all of it right back outside via the laser then you do not have to expend extra energy warming or cooling it.
    Gerber Sabre 408